Library Sold! Now what?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Library Sold! Now what?

Post by andygabrys » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm

mladendomic wrote:I also have the same situation with the same catalog.
Some time ago I read that the library that purchased exclusive catalog from "TV Film Trax" is https://www.5alarmmusic.com/
I tried to search for my song on their web page but couldn't find it under the original title.
Is it possible that they changed the original title of the song without notice or amendment of the contract?
If 5 Alarm purchased it you are in very good hands indeed. Just sit back and let the music work for you and concentrate on other opportunities.

RE: retitles in exclusive libraries - in most cases its purely up to the library what they choose for a track title. They may use your original, or they may retitle it to something they feel is more apropos for the genre, or they may use a convoluted series of prefixes or suffixes to add to the title. They won't necessarily tell you, and it really doesn't matter. I have been happy when libraries retitle my music as it usually means it will be more conspicuous in a list of tracks and maybe entice an editor to click on my title.

The library may not register your titles with your PRO initially and instead you will find a cue sheet registration for the title when it is used. Again - not to worry - you will get paid.

The moral here is - write, submit, forget, repeat, and trust the system is going to work for you.