Terrible reference cues for Electro Lounge listing..... :-(

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Terrible reference cues for Electro Lounge listing..... :-(

Post by DesireInspires » Sun May 13, 2018 8:50 pm

ELECTRONIC LOUNGE INSTRUMENTALS are needed for an (up-to) $1,000, Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Supervisor placement in an Independent Feature Film. This awesome Music Supervisor needs Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that could fit in the general stylistic range of these references: “Icarus (Electric Slide Mix)” by Frank Borell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar1NWhlJdOw Lounge Music - Electro Lounge Mix (From 3:04 - 7:54): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PLpZaEgU78 Please send well-crafted, sophisticated sounding Instrumentals that have a laid back, background music vibe. Your submissions should have groovin’ in-the-pocket beats, soothing melodies, and a great sounding electronic instrumentation. Imagine the music you’d hear in the background of an upscale hotel lobby or chic, cosmopolitan bar. That’s exactly what this Supervisor needs for this Film! Submissions should be between two and five minutes long, give or take. Non-Faded endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). The estimated license fee for this placement is between $500 - $1,000, depending on the ultimate use. This is a Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights, plus you’ll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumentals as you’d like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by somebody on the Supervisor’s team, time permitting - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Tuesday, May 15th, 2018. TAXI #Y180515EL

----

So how is the "Lounge Music - Electro Lounge Mix (From 3:04 - 7:54): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PLpZaEgU78" reference relevant in any way? Many of the songs in that YouTube posting are Hip Hop, R&B, Trap, or Urban songs remixed with a mellow vibe. That is not Electro Lounge! Someone, please help us all!

I actually liked the video and think that the remixes are cool. But most the material in that video is not Electro Lounge. Please work to provide a more suitable reference. No one should be spending time, energy, and money to meet a criteria that does not make sense.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Terrible reference cues for Electro Lounge listing..... :-(

Post by Len911 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 am

It appears the music supervisor has found a couple of pieces that work as temp tracks, and the 2 collections describe themselves as electro lounge, chill. You can't fault the music supe for what they are titled. So whether they are electro lounge
or not or something else is probably irrelevant in this case. Would it have been more relevant to also add other remixed with a mellow vibe from various other genres, and if so, do you have any examples? It's possible they would have found many more examples, but perhaps they didn't know to look in the remixed with a mellow vibe category?
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Mon May 14, 2018 10:15 am

Len911 wrote:It appears the music supervisor has found a couple of pieces that work as temp tracks, and the 2 collections describe themselves as electro lounge, chill. You can't fault the music supe for what they are titled. So whether they are electro lounge
or not or something else is probably irrelevant in this case. Would it have been more relevant to also add other remixed with a mellow vibe from various other genres, and if so, do you have any examples? It's possible they would have found many more examples, but perhaps they didn't know to look in the remixed with a mellow vibe category?
You have got to be joking. SMH.

The reference provided was not picked correctly. If the references are not correctly picked, composers will submit the wrong music and get rejected. That is a waste of time, energy, and money. Someone else with more knowledge of Electro Lounge music should have picked the listing.

If the listing asked for old school country, and heavy metal was mixed in, that would not be acceptable either.

People have to stop taking shortcuts and do the work. Composers are expected to submit suitable music, so the listings should provide suitable references. If not, then why even provide reference tracks. Just say "We need electro lounge. Go on Youtube and figure it out for yourselves". That actually would have been the same thing as providing such a terrible reference track.

Yes, I do have examples, but only for me. I am going to Youtube to figure it out myself. I am going to do the work! Then I am going to chill.......

tomattaxi

Post by tomattaxi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:38 am

Hey DesireInspires,

Tom from the A&R room, here. I am one of the TAXI Staffers working to bring you the Listings.

Yes, you're right - many of the songs in that youtube link are not electro lounge.
Please note, however, that we've indicated a time frame at which the actual reference song takes place - from 3:04 to 7:54.

We aren't claiming that the entirety of this mix is electro lounge, nor did we intend for you to listen to the (almost) hour long mix.
We only meant for you to reference the song that begins at 3:04.
I hope this clears up some confusion.

-Tom @ TAXI

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:23 am

Crickets??? Lol

Yep, TAXI posts a terrible reference... unless you actually read what it says ;-)

ML

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Actually some of the reference cues are not correct, especially in EDM listings. There are so many genres and sub genres now, sometimes its better to be more generalized and say hey we'd like this SOUND: (link)

Dont need to call it electro-lounge per say, but you can say it sounds like it, but maybe its considered in some countries another genre of electro.

I remember back in the day, we had HOUSE - Tech, Acid, Deep, Chicago, NYC, TECHNO - Detroit, Germany, TRANCE and Drum and Bass. It was easy to classify what was what.

Now there's 40 genres, 400 sub-genres its getting absurd.

But as producers, we want to make sure we are send in the right thing. So I agree with the OP that accuracy in listings is very important.

Some of there reference tracks for some of the listings have bid God awful in my opinion. There is no way I would try to make something sound that bad (in the hip hop area mostly) I'm not even sure I could make a beat that bad even if I had my dog do it. So as you can see as producers we care about what we make. We want it to sound good and right, but at the same time they should want our creativity. We aren't AI producing beats and tracks without caring.

SER

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Actually some of the reference cues are not correct
I'd have to disagree, at least from a customer service perspective. The "customer is always right" isn't a literal motto,but rather addressing a customer's wants and needs. Taxi is the bridge between their two types of customers. If they only had two customers
it would be easier, but they have many members and it's probably best that they get them at least on the same page, and they do try very hard through Taxi tv and the forums, newsletters, phone calls, etc.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:39 pm

They say they want electro house and then post tracks that are clearly NOT electro house. So the CUSTOMER doesnt know the difference, which means they should leave out what they dont know and say hey, we want something that sounds like THIS: xyz. etc. Cuz when I see electro house, I thin of something completely different than regular house music.

Same thing with the hip hop ones. Just cuz an artist is from the "West coast" doesnt mean they use "West coast" beats. And visa versa with the East coast or South.

So as I said as a producer of such music its important to us to have some creativity and allow the music supervisor to hear some stuff that maybe they didnt think of, instead its rejected because it wasnt EXACTLY like a reference beat which was wack to begin with.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm not even sure I could make a beat that bad even if I had my dog do it
"Tamborine tied to his tail you can hear him moan you can hear him wail" JJ Cale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEOIiIaJoPg

:lol: :D

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:49 pm

sermusicusa wrote:They say they want electro house and then post tracks that are clearly NOT electro house. So the CUSTOMER doesnt know the difference, which means they should leave out what they dont know and say hey, we want something that sounds like THIS: xyz. etc. Cuz when I see electro house, I thin of something completely different than regular house music.

Same thing with the hip hop ones. Just cuz an artist is from the "West coast" doesnt mean they use "West coast" beats. And visa versa with the East coast or South.

So as I said as a producer of such music its important to us to have some creativity and allow the music supervisor to hear some stuff that maybe they didnt think of, instead its rejected because it wasnt EXACTLY like a reference beat which was wack to begin with.
Exactly.

My post isn’t mean to bash Taxi, but to offer constructive criticism. We get feedback from the submissions. We can take that feedback and improve or ignore it.

Taxi can do the same thing, but I do hope that the listings do improve. It would be of great benefit to newer members to help them better navigate the terrain and to submit suitable music. It doesn’t help the composer, Taxi, or the client when many or most of the submissions do not meet the target due to communication gaps.