Getting Metadata embedded properly

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

philsmith
Active
Active

Re: Getting Metadata embedded properly

Post by philsmith » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 am

Easy enough to add metadata, but what if you remixed the song? You'd have to enter all the metadata all over again. That could include lyrics and pictures and all sorts of stuff. With my metadata editor, http://id3editor.philsmith.com you can take the original file with all the metadata and replace the audio. Or you can take the new file and copy the metadata from the old.

Plus my metadata editor is FREE and CROSS-PLATFORM since it's in your browser.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:37 am

Hey, I just learned something new, courtesy of Paul Croteau. There is a simple shortcut to do this with iTunes.

Load your music file into iTunes and tag. Then simply drag the song name into a folder on your computer (PC or Mac)! It looks like that does the export and the tags stick!

If you want to be REALLY sure it's working. Do this with an mp3 and email the mp3 to a friend and have them verify that the tags stuck.

Thank you Paulie!

:D Casey

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 am

Kolstad wrote:I use Presonus Studio One on a MAC. Ez as pie.
Same here but on PC. I enter the info before bouncing my mix, however it only saves it on mp3, not on wav files.

philsmith
Active
Active

Post by philsmith » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:20 am

Same here but on PC. I enter the info before bouncing my mix, however it only saves it on mp3, not on wav files.
That's because mp3 uses frames and each frame has a header, and each header starts with sync bits (a series of ones). That makes it easy to prepend a tag to a file. Mp3 players ignore the metadata before the first sync bits. So mp3 players know where the audio begins. The same can't be done on wav (PCM) files because there's no way to know when the audio begins.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

I don't mean to hijack the thread..I've just got some metadata questions too.

I master in Wavelab and it's got an editor for every type of metadata under the sun it seems. Never quite sure which one to use--so I do a little experimenting until I see the metadata I want to display on a media player.

I did pull one piece of info from the Wavelab site that might be of some use for this post. Maybe this is common knowledge, but maybe it's useful to someone:

"For MP3, the following metadata types are available:

ID3 v1 and ID3 v2, including picture support, and ReplayGain standard"

Maybe this is specific to Wavelab, but here is the site if you're interested. https://steinberg.help/wavelab_pro/v9.5 ... ata_c.html

Q: Did I understand that Taxi does or doesn't need metadata on your submissions?

I submitted a track for review on Taxi TV once, and left the default genre in the metadata because I didn't think it mattered. Whomever pulled my track for review read the metadata and the genre was far from what my track was --my bad, but learned a great lesson about the need to enter in your real metadata, regardless.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

philsmith
Active
Active

Post by philsmith » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:34 am

ID3 v1 is obsolete. V2 has 3 active sub-versions: 2, 3 and 4. All the information can be found at http://www.id3.org

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:39 am

philsmith wrote:ID3 v1 is obsolete. V2 has 3 active sub-versions: 2, 3 and 4. All the information can be found at http://www.id3.org
Awesome! Thanks Phil.
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

MJFrog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MJFrog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:10 am

If you are using a DAW to make your recordings remember that each project has a filing system that allows you to to name and tag it ... during export to mp3 the fields that you fill in are saved ... File saving in general can get dicey ... where you save and how you name projects should be something you take the time to get good at ...

neilmctavish
Active
Active

Post by neilmctavish » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:26 pm

I use Metadatics from Mark-V software on Mac OS. You can get it in the App Store. Really good and easy to use. Once you get the hang of it it’s really powerful.

Neil

philsmith
Active
Active

Post by philsmith » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:25 am

I use Metadatics from Mark-V software on Mac OS. You can get it in the App Store. Really good and easy to use. Once you get the hang of it it’s really powerful.
If you don't want to spend $9.99, you can use my free online metadata editor, http://id3editor.philsmith.com. Its most wonderful feature is that it allows you to replace the audio! If you've got a ton of metadata in the file and you've done a remix, you don't have to enter all the metadata again! Just put the new mix in. Also, you can have as many pictures or comments as you want.

And if you have any problems with it, or want features, you know how to reach me.