Returned - Not sure I agree with the critique at all.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Returned - Not sure I agree with the critique at all.

Post by sermusicusa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:12 pm

SONG IS HERE: https://soundcloud.com/sermusicusa/ever ... ix/s-v5dCs

"CRITIQUE: The energy and style of the song stand out but the style rhythmically and melodically isn't contagious enough."

Normally I wouldnt complain, but I think this one is worth another look.
Not Rhythmically contagious enough?? The whole song is rhythm. It has massive anthem style drums and is the song itself is pretty damn catchy lyrically. I think the melody stands out as well.

If this came back as, well not what we were really looking for precisely I'd say ok, but the critique here is way off. I gave a high energy EDM track, which is what is noted in the critique, I'm just not sure what else ya need.

I would love to know the qualifications to be a screener at taxi. Maybe they are basing their forwards on personal opinions rather than the song itself? Just a thought not an accusation.

LISTING:

Y180725ED
HIGH-ENERGY EDM SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed for an (up to) $3,000 placement by a NON-Exclusive Publisher that’s feeding material directly to the Music Supervisor of a Hit TV Series. Send them Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that could fit in the general stylistic wheelhouse of (but not limited to) the following references: "Limbo” by Daddy Yankee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BTjG-dhf5s “Like I Do” by David Guetta, Martin Garrix & Brooks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfPu9Jrcpuk “2U” by David Guetta ft Justin Bieber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X3xtRNb20s IMPORTANT NOTE: If your Song was commercially released AFTER 2004, then you CANNOT submit for this request. If the song you are submitting has NEVER been commercially released, then this restriction would not apply. Please submit fresh, fist-pumping Songs that sound like a true EDM record. Production with great builds, catchy melodic hooks, current-sounding synths, and rhythmically engaging beats could all help your submission shine for this request. Make sure your vocal performance is really strong and right down the lane of the references and other acts in the same wheelhouse. NOTE: You can have vocals performed in English, however, having a vocal that’s performed in Spanish could give you an added edge, as long as it’s authentic-sounding. Lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, and places will generally make your songs more usable. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for feel, texture, tone, and vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed. The estimated license fee for this placement is (up to) $3,000, depending on the ultimate placement. This Publisher offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal. You’ll get 50% of the sync fee and 100% of the Writer’s share. They’ll get 50% of the sync fee and 100% of the Publisher’s Share. You’ll keep 100% ownership of the original Copyright and Master Recording. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this. Please submit as many Songs you’d like online or per CD. All Submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a TAXI screener handpicked by the Publisher- No Full Critiques. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Wednesday, July 25th, 2018. TAXI #Y180725ED

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Returned - Not sure I agree with the critique at all.

Post by ttully » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:39 pm

HI,

I will have to agree with the screener.....

You track is very very good......BUT
Your track is in a different EDM style than the references....maybe a bit over the top compared to the references.
Your track has long held out synth notes .....the references are alot of short notes with alot or rhythm to them.
It's a bit hard to explain, but I can definitely hear the difference in styles.

I would not be upset with the screener..... it is a very good track...just not what they are looking for.

My 2 cents,
Tim

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Then why don't they say that in the critique instead of what he said. His critique was not a good explanation of what was expected. I guess I should read the find print. I am new here so I guess I just don't get 'it' yet.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:24 am

Listened to the Ref tracks and then yours. I am writing this before reading anyone else's reply so if I am repeating anyone else we may be onto something

Straight off the bat it was clearly a different vibe..I like your song but it's not anything like the other tracks.

" not rhythmically contagious enough" ...notice that the tracks referenced have short stabby stacatto pluck type parts and your track starts with long legato Orchestral sounding chords.

Whilst there are some strings in the Justin Bieber track they aren't playing chords, they following the vocal and are fairly unobtrusive..so I felt like they all have a bit of tropical feel in their intros Vs your orchestral feel.

I think once you get to 1.25 it's a step closer to the Guetta track but it's too busy / fizzy and not clean enough ..I hear a lot more side chaining in evidence from the other tracks as well as a Future Bass type section in the Bieber track. Although I like your hook it needs taming and de-cluttering as well as better sound in your drums .

Overall i agree with the screener but I think if you kept the vocals and the melodic hooks a remix of this done right would work. Hope that helps.

Mark

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:05 am

I was a screener for a Taxi friendly music library and after listening to hundreds of tracks for a certain vibe or sound....
I would have to tell the owner why I did or didn't like them.

....alot of the time it was hard to put into words..... you just know if the track is what you are looking for.
And of course it's the screeners personal opinion! But it is a highly trusted opinion.

And I know for a fact that the Taxi screeners know their stuff.......

When you are screening tracks..... you usually know the right track as soon as you hear it.
But with ones that are close or not the ones you are looking for....it can be sometimes be tough to nail EXACTLY why you don't like it.
And it is not necessarily that you don't like it..... sometimes it is a great track.... but not what you are looking for.

So I would let this bother me.....just keep writing and submitting.
This track may be perfect for a different listing.

Of course.... my 2 cents,
Tim

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:48 pm

I remember back in the day, we had HOUSE - Tech, Acid, Deep, Chicago, NYC, TECHNO - Detroit, Germany, TRANCE and Drum and Bass. It was easy to classify what was what.

Now there's 40 genres, 400 sub-genres its getting absurd.

But as producers, we want to make sure we are send in the right thing . Accuracy in listings is very important. Maybe I didnt read enough into it and got excited and just sent it something I thought would fit better than what was referenced.

Some of there reference tracks for some of the listings have been God awful in my opinion. There is no way I would try to make something sound that bad (in the hip hop area mostly) I'm not even sure I could make a beat that bad even if I had my dog do it. So as you can see as producers we care about what we make. We want it to sound good and right, but at the same time they should want our creativity. We aren't AI producing beats and tracks without caring.

SER

chrismugs
Impressive
Impressive

Post by chrismugs » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 pm

yeah, i agree. as EDM has become more popular, different flavors and variations are born. it can be hard to keep up sometimes. but i think it's up to us music creators to keep evolving and pushing the genre(s) as well.

Sometimes references and styles may not be to our taste. but these listings aren't really for us; they are for a client or the public.

don't trip. just write, submit and forget. your music will find a place. :)

-Chris

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:40 pm

Although it's pretty much been said already, please keep in mind that the Taxi screener is screening SPECIFCALLY as to how the submission fits the criteria of the particular listing. A track can be great but not a fit for the listing.

Most of the time, the reference "a la" tracks are the best guide. You may like the tracks or not but that represents what the client is looking for. Many members are successful because they A/B listen a lot between their track and 1-2 of the reference tracks.

Some listings have a higher "bar" than others, some cast a wider net than others. After a while you get to read between the lines as to where the bar is. For example, a listing for a direct to sup song with a $25,000 sync fee has an ultra high bar. A listing for a new non-exclusive music library that's building their new catalog might have a more medium bar.

Best of luck,
Casey