Returned - needs more authentic piano?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Returned - needs more authentic piano?

Post by ComposerLDG » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi everyone. I sure don't mind a return (I've had tons of them!), but now and then I scratch my head at the critique from the reviewer. This piece, submitted to a recent piano listing, was returned with the reviewer saying a more authentic sounding piano would increase its chances.

That's a new one! The pianos I use are the NI Kontakt pianos (The Giant, specifically), and I've never had a reviewer say they weren't authentic sounding. Anyway...I"m sure the reviewer heard something that prompted the comment, so if you wouldn't mind having a listen, I'd sure appreciate hearing what your ears have to say!

https://soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi/despair

Thanks,

-Loren
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

SawtoothPorter
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Returned - needs more authentic piano?

Post by SawtoothPorter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:25 am

I believe it is due to the hammered nature of the piano. I think if it were "softer" in velocity and with some variation, it would pass. Remember, not convincing does not always have to mean the sampler/instrument, it could be the playing. Your playing on this does not convey emotion or sound like a pianist sitting at a piano playing.

Great composition BTW. Just vary the quantization and velocity. Maybe place some sustain automation as well.

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks for the feedback. I’m still stumped, given I played it in real time, not sequenced. I didn’t use a lot of dynamics since it would be background and shouldn’t be distracting.

Anyway, your comments are definitely worth noting, so thanks! On to the next one...
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

SawtoothPorter
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SawtoothPorter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 am

The attack is very drastic and very singular in nature. I would not have guessed you played it in real-time.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Loren,

Maybe try the Alicia Keys piano....The Giant is not quite right for this......

Of course my 2 cents,

Tim

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Hey Loren! Beautiful piece as always.

I am going into listening with a heavily critical ear to maybe try and figure out what *could* have been the problem. The only things that stick out to me are the sharpness of the attack and the overall eq. Had I just stumbled across this I might not have noticed, but since I went into it looking for a "problem".. that's all I got. There is little bit of a resonant frequency buildup on the attack of the higher notes (at least to my ears in my studio), and overall a little bit of a lack of clarity in the mix/eq. Little bit muffled. Again this is me searching for problems.. I really enjoy this piece.

I think you have a great attitude also regarding the screeners btw - they only want to help and for us to succeed - they heard something that prompted their feedback. Can't win em all, onto the next one indeed!