Hip Hop Trailer Instrumental Structure

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Daverehnstrom

Hip Hop Trailer Instrumental Structure

Post by Daverehnstrom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am

Hey guys and gals,
I m new here and have a question about trailer music.
The listing I tried to compose according to asked for the regular 3 part trailer structure. So, I get the idea of the trailer being a three act "play" and the music needs to support that. However, watching the references I noticed that these comedies used different pieces of hip hop for the different parts, not one song with different intensity depending on where in the trailer it appears. A lot of epic cues and more symphonic hybrid cues seem to have a theme going through and then elaborate on this theme with varying amount of instrumentation, building up as it goes along. But if the music editor is using 3-4 different hip hop songs and is cutting and pasting to fit dialogue and plot twists, does it make sense to compose three different snippets with different flavours or should one submit three different songs? And if I produce three different flavours in one "cue", should they come straight after each other, or can I put a bar in between the ending of one and the start of the next to make an edit easier?
Don´t know if this question even makes sense to anyone but would be very grateful for some insight from an experienced composer here on the forum.
Kindest regards from Hamburg, Germany
David

Daverehnstrom

Re: Hip Hop Trailer Instrumental Structure

Post by Daverehnstrom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:40 am

So I got the song returned, but with some really great feedback that answered my question.
I m stoked though that the screener liked my music, and that the pricipal reason for the return was my simple misunderstanding of the structure. Next time I´ll submit seperate tracks with builds and edit points, but all at full length, making sure my tracks hit different flavours with regard to the references.

Here´s the feedback
"Hi David, I think you set a great vibe at the top and move nicely through the intro. I think that vocals add really cool edge to the track and nice subtle focus. Strong edit points and distinct changes are hallmarks of good trailer tracks in which case I do appreciate the change at 0:42. The concern however is that the break is so complete and the change so extreme that it sounds like two completely different tracks. I worry that it would just be extremely hard to pair the track to picture with such a change in vibe and style. I find that I feel the same about the change at 1:33. Ultimately i feel like you have three separate songs here and I'm afraid it's just going to be too hard to pair to picture. "

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:52 am

This might help on the 3 act formula: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgT2oKurtk4 but it sounds like you have already figured that out.

As far as watching trailers to see what they did - sure that can give vibe, but the thing you cannot take directly from watching the trailer is how many different pieces they might have used to cut the trailer together.

So these trailers which don't have a continuous musical thread / motif are likely 3 or more different pieces.

When you write trailer music you try to do a 3 act form with one musical motif - the idea being if they like it all, they might use the entire thing. If they don't like it all, they will cut in another piece as they need it. With the epic and symphonic stuff you might not notice them being totally different pieces as the sounds are consistent even if the motifs aren't.

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 pm

It was a weird listing to me. Hard to tell what would have worked based on the reference videos. Oh well.

Daverehnstrom

Post by Daverehnstrom » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:20 am

Hey guys thanks for the feedback, i will check that reference. Appreciate you taking time to answer my question:-)
Creatively yours
David

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:11 pm

It was a bad listing submitted by a client who didn’t understand what they wanted.