My Very First Placement!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

janetsnare
Active
Active

Re: My Very First Placement!

Post by janetsnare » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 am

markhimley wrote:That's awesome, congrats!!
Thanks a bunch, Mark! I look forward to building on this success.

Janet

janetsnare
Active
Active

Post by janetsnare » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:07 am

JohnnyP wrote:Congrats on the placement Janet! Best of luck tracking down the $ and please keep us posted.
John
Thank you John. Before I left for vacation, I managed to get a response from my PRO, who said they'd never received a cue sheet. Was able to track that down and have the production company forward it so hopefully royalties will be sorted out.

Janet

janetsnare
Active
Active

Post by janetsnare » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:08 am

annayarbrough wrote:Congrats, Janet!
Thank you very much, Anna!

janetsnare
Active
Active

Post by janetsnare » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:10 am

pboss wrote:Congratulations, Janet! There's a big difference in the feeling between 0 placements and 1 placement. The great thing is, this is proof that you have things in place for more placements, and we look forward to hearing about your next milestones.
Ha, yes, 1 placement DOES feel a lot better than 0 placements!:)

Janet

janetsnare
Active
Active

Post by janetsnare » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:14 am

JannieM wrote:
music editor of the show subsequently contacted me, asking for my PRO info because he was including the cue in the show. The show (called the RIP Files, Series 2, "Prisoners in Time" episode) was not picked up in the U.S. but went on to air in SysFy Asia and Really TV in the U.K.
Just my opinion, but it sounds like your PRO should start with music editor who initially contacted you and then should follow the trail to your royalties. I also think they could find out when (of if) the payments were made (and to whom) for the transaction of using your music. I'm not sure if it works the same in the music world as it does with customers in the business world - but it should be similar.

BTW - I haven't even gotten a forward yet - SO congrats to you all for getting placements. Hope you start getting those royalties real soon.

Jan

Hi Jannie,
Actually my PRO has told me they never received a cue sheet. So I tracked that down and had the production company forward it to my PRO. ULTIMATELY, I should receive at least some royalties for this!

Janet

janetsnare
Active
Active

Post by janetsnare » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:24 am

jdstamper wrote:
janetsnare wrote: Oh wow, good luck with your royalty situation also. I'm going to follow up again with my PRO next week to see if I can get a response from them. Hopefully this isn't par for the course. Will let you know if I have any better luck:) Which episode of the RIP Files is your placement in? Do you know?

Janet
So Janet, I actually found my placement, it's in Season 2 Episode 3, Spirits of the Palace. This originally aired around the end of November 2015 in the UK, et al. This will help if I follow-up on the missing royalty. Even if the international royalties never appear, it seems like we should see something trickle in from Amazon? I wonder

Thanks again, I probably would never have found it except for this thread.

Jim
Hi Jim, so before I left on vacation I followed up again with my PRO, who told me they never received a cue sheet. I tracked down and contacted the company owner (ghosthunterpat@gmail.com) and asked her to send the cue sheet to my PRO (I tried sending it directly to my PRO, but they said it had to come from the production company). My PRO person said she'd "reach out" to foreign distributors about past royalties for the last 9 months, which is apparently the limit they will look for. But, as you say, we should get Amazon royalties that started in May 2018. I plan to follow up re: the foreign royalty situation soon.

Janet

RichardInUK
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RichardInUK » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Getting your first placement must be an awesome feeling!! Congrats Janet .... hopefully your royalties will follow soon!

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:45 pm

janetsnare wrote: Hi Jim, so before I left on vacation I followed up again with my PRO, who told me they never received a cue sheet. I tracked down and contacted the company owner (ghosthunterpat@gmail.com) and asked her to send the cue sheet to my PRO (I tried sending it directly to my PRO, but they said it had to come from the production company). My PRO person said she'd "reach out" to foreign distributors about past royalties for the last 9 months, which is apparently the limit they will look for. But, as you say, we should get Amazon royalties that started in May 2018. I plan to follow up re: the foreign royalty situation soon.

Janet
Hey Janet, that's great how you've tracked it down. If the PRO never received a cue sheet, then I'm not sure how royalties would find us from Amazon, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that connections will be made eventually :) I don't quite understand the "9 months" look back limit, when we're often told it can take 2 years for foreign royalties to appear in the first place. By the time we know it's missing, it's too late to follow-up :roll:

Oh well, my next statement will be in a couple weeks, you never know what might be there

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:02 pm

Congrats on your very first placement ! So exciting isn't it :)

I live in Ireland and am therefore with the Irish PRO called IMRO. Almost all my music gets licensed from the USA. So imagine this, Finnish tv show uses a song of mine which is with a US publisher. The cue sheet goes from Finland to the US PRO I had nominated/and I assume the publisher. My royalties then eventually get sent from the US PRO to the Irish PRO. They process it (not sure how fast lol) and eventually, usually about 2 years later, I get paid.

I have never yet been paid royalties in the same year a show aired, apart from an Irish language soap opera that used a couple songs, which took 9 months to get to me :roll: The norm for foreign royalties to reach me is about 2 years.

And I think that 9 months limit from your PRO sounds like piffle. My PRO has tracked down missing payments from a show aired in the US 3 years later.

Onwards and upwards as they say :)
Amanda
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |

minoruchan
Impressive
Impressive

Post by minoruchan » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:30 pm

I `ve heard of international royalties from my publisher weeks ago.
He said that usually it took 18 months to years for it.
recently I realized NBC Universal doesn't run SyFy Asia any more.
They didn't run well in Singapore so it might be hard for PRO to collectt international royalities, I `d say.
So I don't want to think about it any more as I can do nothing.
I do want to make music than thinking of it.