I won the Sure MV5 - review

Hang with your friends from the TAXI TV Chat Room and discuss the episodes

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

larrymagee
Impressive
Impressive

I won the Sure MV5 - review

Post by larrymagee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:41 am

I won the Sure MV5 a few weeks ago and Michael asked for a review. It's an okay entry-level mic. I run on Windows and it did something to mess up my audio settings and I had to take the PC in to be fixed. It's running fine now. It has a 1/4" headphone jack on the mic so when you plug it in it may take over both your audio input and output devices. I was wondering why they put the headphone jack there at all and decided it must be because iPhones don't have one anymore.

Thanks so much for the mic, Michael. I'll be experimenting to find good uses for it.

MJFrog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: I won the Sure MV5 - review

Post by MJFrog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:06 pm

May I ask what DAW you are running? ...

MJFrog
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MJFrog » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Hello again Larry ... just wanted to add a little bit about why there is a headphone out on podcast mics ...
USB Mics are the same as a stand alone interface using their own ASIO drivers ...
Your windows computer will only allow one ASIO to be chosen at a time due to its internal busswork ...
Windows determines the importance of installed devices and hardware by their IRQ number as set in the bios

The Shure mic installs its prority drivers when plugged into an available usb ...
So if you are using another interface that runs on Firewire or USB there may be a driver conflict ...
Often the motherboard inputs are paired so you might have four usb ports using the same IRQ...
I am posting a link for what in my opinion is a good guide to optimizing Windows for Recording

The good news is that you now have a mic you could use for mobile recording that will work well with a number of devices

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

larrymagee
Impressive
Impressive

Post by larrymagee » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 am

Hi MJ - thanks for the great article about optimizing a Windows PC for audio recording. I'm digging into it now. The issue I had was not with the DAW. It was with the Windows Sounds Setting page. The output driver was changed to the Shure when I plugged it in and when I unplugged the mic the output stopped working altogether. I had to take it in to the Geek Squad to get it working agian.

I look forward to playing around with it some more. It has a good sound.