Practical way to create orchestral template in PT and VEP?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RobertElse
Impressive
Impressive

Practical way to create orchestral template in PT and VEP?

Post by RobertElse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi all - I am looking for a practical way to create an orchestral template in Pro Tools, where I can easily audition multiple samples of instruments from various orchestral families to decide what I want to use in a particular score. For example, if I need a flute, I want to audition the various timbres, attacks, vibrato, etc. across the samples I have, choose the one I like best, and use it in the score I am building.

I run Pro Tools on my Macbook Pro as my main DAW, and I have Vienna Ensemble Pro running on a very powerful slave PC, and I’m using the EW Cloud Composer sample libraries (more libraries to be added in the future). Technically, everything works fine. EW is loaded on the PC. I can create a Server Project in VEP, create an Instance in that Server Project, add instruments to that Instance (albeit one at a time) on individual midi channels, then use that Instance as a plug-in in Pro Tools and get sound. I can add Instances to that Server Project and add more instruments (again, one at a time), and use the multiple instances in Pro Tools and get sound from each.

BUT this process does not scale up very well! For violins alone, there are hundreds of possible samples, just in this particular EW library alone. Just adding the string family alone to VEP would take many hours, if not days, and I fear what I create would be unmanageable. Next, they need to be added to Pro Tools as possible tracks for auditioning and possible use in the actual score. And would I run out of tracks? (256 max).

There MUST be a better way (I hope!).

Ultimately I’m trying to duplicate the setup that David Das has in his excellent YouTube video “Orchestration Secrets from Star Wars by John Williams” (https://youtu.be/fYfbm3qHRLI) where he has many samples of each instrument at his fingertips to audition and use. Awesome! He is using Digital Performer as his DAW, but he’s got VEP on a slave PC behind the scenes, same as I do. How do I get to that point? Thanks for any help.

-- Robert

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Practical way to create orchestral template in PT and VEP?

Post by Kolstad » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 pm

It is a tedious process to work out a template. Many just load upnthe main articulations or patches with keyswitches, so you get a starting point. The only way I have heard of to audition vI sounds quickly on the fly (just by scrolling to the sound) is with the NI Komplete S midi controllers, and only with NI compatible software. If you use NI a lot, those could be something you want to look into. I dont think it works in VEP, though. I know of no quick fixes in VEP for quickly auditioning sounds.
Ceo of my own life

RobertElse
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RobertElse » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep looking and learning and see how my workflow evolves.
Robert

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:54 pm

I am not sure if there is a "quick way".

In that view he's got hundreds of tracks that represent the various articulations and different instruments, as well as the different libraries that he might use to layer (note: he's got symphonia on a lot of sections as well as more conventional solo / section instruments).

There isn't any substitute to going through every library and auditioning different patches and coming up with a "list of usual suspects" that are going to represent 90% of your writing needs. Its likely to be a continuous labour of love as you acquire newer libraries that might provide better vibe for some instruments / passages.

Most people then go through and add all that stuff into a master template that has hundreds and hundreds of tracks, color coded and named appropriately, and routed to make bouncing stems efficient and logical by section / instrument / range. Some DAW's like Cubase or Logic that work with folders can make the actual display of the project a little more usable and easy to get around but you can also save track / screen snapshots in Pro Tools and hide or display sections as needed.

Using the purge functions in VEP you can lighten RAM load after you have created your arrangement if need be.

HTH (hope that helps) - just one perspective

EDIT: I suspect you have already watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWeN0tVvV3A and. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB1twfL5b28

RobertElse
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RobertElse » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks for the reply Andy, and the links you provided, which I will definitely check out. The workflow you describe is pretty much what I've come around to since my original posting. I've made a large Pro Tools template and learned much in the process. Tedious work, but it sure gets you familiar with your libraries, and I can see that the work will pay off. I wish Pro Tools had folders, or a handy search capability, because the Track List gets unwieldy pretty quickly, but that just forces me to stay very organized.

Thanks again, and maybe see you at the Rally...
Robert

mrichmond56

Post by mrichmond56 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 pm

Can anyone advise me what orchestral software library is the best for under $1,000?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon May 25, 2020 8:45 am

mrichmond56 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:12 pm
Can anyone advise me what orchestral software library is the best for under $1,000?
Depends what you want. overall vibe, sections / solos , articulations, mic positions ...there is a whole laundry list of options.

mrichmond56

Post by mrichmond56 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:27 pm

Looking for strings and orchestral arrangements. I am now limited to apple loops, Splice and Nord stage three sounds. I have heard good and bad things about several expensive libaries under 1,000.00 . I also am aware that in order to get a great sound you should record 1 st chair, second chair, and other string instruments separately in order to get a realistic feel. Is the bbc spitfire something to look at or any other suggestions?