Turning songs into Instrumentals

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ASV
Active
Active

Turning songs into Instrumentals

Post by ASV » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:43 am

Hi Taxi,

I'm finishing up recording and mixing some singer/songwriter tunes with vocals. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can use the same tracks as instrumentals?
I know I can just mute out all vocal tracks but in today's market, is that enough?
Any production suggestions would help.

Thanks!!
Adam

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Turning songs into Instrumentals

Post by ttully » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:47 am

Hey Adam,

Well...... usually muting vox and making it into an instrumental will sound like an song missing vocals!!! it's usually too bare.

I have always found it difficult to convert a finished song with vox into an instrumental.
But I have had a few instrumental versions of rock songs used on TV shows.... but it usually does not work.

Of course you would have to take it on a song by song basis.... some may sound ok as an instrumental... some not.
I would suggest what most others would probably suggest.... write for specific listings....don't try to make an existing track fit a listing. (although sometimes this will work).

Perhaps you could post an instrumental version of a few of the tracks and see what people think.

My 2 cents,
Tim

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:59 am

If a Library signs the song they will want the instrumental anyway so it's good to have it ready.

As for re-purposing it to use for instumental listings, personally I wouldn't . What happens if someone signs the instrumental version exclusively ? Then you have a song you can't use.

Songs and Cues have different forms so I would write each one specifically.

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:02 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:Songs and Cues have different forms so I would write each one specifically.

I would agree with cosmicdolphin and add this idea. The point of making a full time income from Production Music, is to write as many High Quality tracks as you can. So why not focus on writing instrumentals one day and songs the next.

What I mean is, look at instrumentals as a genre not an off-shoot of a SONG or another version of a SONG. Write specifically instrumentals or songs, don't intermingle the two unless asked.

I have always taken ML's advice and looked at instrumentals as.."stupid little instrumentals", because they are easier to produce (which is the PRACTICAL point I think he was trying to make) and SONGS as something else. SONGS with lyrics and vocals are something close to your heart. We would prefer them not to be changed by people who have no idea the concept we originally intended but bear in mind, that writing SONGS to suit a Libraries' or Music Supervisor's needs for Film/TV etc.. should always be your focus. Unless you are writing to get an established artist to cut your song.

Just my 2 cents..
I hope it helps and GOOD LUCK,

Dan
Last edited by DannyWeber on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:33 am

Adam, just a few thoughts, if the melody is what is copy right protected, and also what is most recognized in a song, then I would think an instrumental of that song would substitute the vocal melody for another instrument in the voicing and
phrasing of that particular instrument. In other words, you couldn't just convert the audio of the vocal to midi and use just any instrument, but the melody would be performed by an instrument, in the characteristics of that particular instrument.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music