We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

First Post In Here :-)

Post by tpwmusic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 am

Hi Guys,

First post in here, so please be gentle! :)

Good news is I've had my first forward for Y180909CI - INVESTIGATIVE TENSION INSTRUMENTAL, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that develops.

Needless to say I've had a few returns, most of which completely expected as I've just been testing the water so to speak. But I've had a couple of surprising returns, especially considering the feedback I've received.

The first surprise was for Y180916HB - INSTRUMENTAL RENDITIONS OF “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” IN ALL GENRES, SUB-GENRES, and TEMPOS
Considering the brief, I thought my 'minor key' version provided something different, whilst at the same time remaining recognisable. However the screener thought it removed the expected "happy" vibe - yet the brief indicated to give them something different.

The second surprise was for Y180918SW - ORIGINAL SYNTHWAVE INSTRUMENTALS
This one I thought I hit the nail on the head, and other peer groups of mine agreed. However the screener didn't get along with my mix. Saying it wasn't balanced and too quiet. A tough one to swallow that.

What do you guys think?

Here's the Synthwave track:
https://www.facebook.com/TPWMUSIC/video ... 278699575/

I'll share the Happy Birthday one later.

All the best,
Glenn

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: First Post In Here :-)

Post by LongBlackNight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Hey Glenn,

I was going to try for that listing, myself, but no time.

Not a synthwave expert, but I cannot understand the screener's comments that it's not balanced and that's it's too quiet.
I'd have to go along with your peer groups--sounds good.

jp
www.LongBlackNight.com

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:03 am

Thanks jp - Glad you agree. The screeners comments have been making me doubt my ears! lol

geofferic
Active
Active

Post by geofferic » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi Glenn,
I know little to nothing about synth, but I enjoyed it very much and it certainly evoked some emotion, which is the whole point.
You've just got to find the right opportunity for it.

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:47 am

geofferic wrote:Hi Glenn,
I know little to nothing about synth, but I enjoyed it very much and it certainly evoked some emotion, which is the whole point.
You've just got to find the right opportunity for it.
Thank you for that. I might submit this one again at some stage in the future, it might be of use for something else.

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 am

Really not my genre, but the mix sounds good to me. Keep your head up and keep producing.
I often get returns that I don't really understand, and I think it is because the screener just doesn't like it or doesn't think it will get placed.
It is very hard to explain why music doesn't do it for us, so they try and find a specific excuse, which maybe isn't the real reason.
I'm not trying to shoot down the screeners, just say I think it must be hard to return music and HAVE to think of a reason.

tpwmusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by tpwmusic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

SteveBaruah wrote:Really not my genre, but the mix sounds good to me. Keep your head up and keep producing.
I often get returns that I don't really understand, and I think it is because the screener just doesn't like it or doesn't think it will get placed.
It is very hard to explain why music doesn't do it for us, so they try and find a specific excuse, which maybe isn't the real reason.
I'm not trying to shoot down the screeners, just say I think it must be hard to return music and HAVE to think of a reason.
Thanks Steve. Appreciate that. :)