Sound Libraries

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ChrisRaggatt

Sound Libraries

Post by ChrisRaggatt » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:02 am

Hi guys

I keep getting feedback that I need to upgrade my sound library. At the moment I’m just using the stock sounds on Logic Pro X. It’s mostly string and piano sounds I get that feedback for but I also need decent brass sounds too (and a decent Bari Sax sound).

I don’t have loads of money to spend on it, but am looking for any recommendations.

Thanks in advance guys,
Chris

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Sound Libraries

Post by hummingbird » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:44 pm

I have Composer Cloud and I think it's a good way to go. I have two orchestras and a bunch of other sound libraries for $30 a month. I know EW is getting a bit out of date tho so if you are doing Orchestral stuffs you might need to look at something else.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:58 pm

I'd suggest looking at audio samples versus multi sampled libraries. There are benefits and drawbacks of using both.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:11 pm

Decisions about virtual instruments can be genre-dependent; where it comes to pianos, you're spoiled for choice, so pick your poison. There are free sampled pianos that can get you there, once you learn how to tweak 'em. Strings are much the same; I tend to like the drier sample sets, so I can get all the suspects into the same lineup, using bus reverb. It's good to have both large and small ensemble string sounds, as well as a solo set that be heard and understood, naked.For Pop & Rock, Session Horns Pro can go a long way; there's a good Bari sax and a bitchin' Tuba, but the regular version holds its own, pretty well.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

vbakh

Sound Libraries for a Beginner (was: Sound Libraries)

Post by vbakh » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:23 pm

Slightly off topic:
What sound library or libraries would you recommend for a beginner in Dramedy / Happy-Positive / Calm-Peaceful genres?
I've got good drums and bass VSTs and thinking about where to invest next to cover a decent set of instruments for those genres. My budget is around $1000.
Is it better to begin with something easier like VSL Smart Orchestra, go for an universal bundle like Komplete, or get something more specialized /cinematic like sets from Spitfire Audio, ProjectSAM etc.?
Does it make sense to wait until black friday sales? I am on the first year of my 'five years plan', not in a rush and have plenty of things to study and experiment with until then (and after).

Sunset
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Sunset » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:46 pm

vbakh,

For what you're focusing on NOW,I'd consider Komplete ultimate 11.( 12 just came out)- because ult 11 had 3 string libraries included(but not in 12 for some reason) it also has a ton of instruments. I like and own Spitfire (Albion 1) and use it a lot in Orchestral Hybrid stuff ...Albion also includes a lot of other sound effect modules.. but my best thought for bang for the buck is Komplete 11 ultimate if you can find it( and hopefully at a really good price). You can use the symphonic strings for orch hybrid tracks and Session strings for Dramedy( they tend to sound a little more appropriate for EDM style tracks).. you also get the strummed acoustic guitars for happy-positive ( if you don't already record live acoustic... VSL is really nice, but more suited IMO for Classical tracks...

Good Luck!

John

vbakh

Post by vbakh » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:43 pm

John, thanks a lot!

Regards,
Vlad

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:52 am

Cinesamples' Cinesymphony Lite has a multi for the full version of Kontakt, called Lite Cartoon that has the perfect pizz for Dramedy.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone