Hello

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PaulaRay

Hello

Post by PaulaRay » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:35 pm

Hey everyone!
Thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm a music teacher who majored on clarinet and ended up gigging mostly on saxophone, after I pawned the jewelry my first husband gave me and bought an old sax. I made one Nashville trip to pitch songs, had my music ed degree fresh in hand, but decided I needed to back-burner songwriting and go for the salary with benefits. Sitting in Shoney's near music row - I realized I didn't fit in- too young, too much classical and jazz music in my blood, and far too shy.

Fast-forward thirty years...the songwriting dream hasn't died. I've taught band, chorus, general music, piano....played in all sorts of ensembles....discovered I love to write words (I mean...I REALLY enjoy writing words) became a poet and fiction writer, even published four books under a pen name. They were romances. I'm not a romance reader. I studied the market because it sells well and I gave it a go. Turns out - I can write romance and the books sell. BUT - my heart isn't in it.

Speaking of heart...I had a heart attack a couple of years ago. Seemed like I was too young for such things, but I came out of it with a strong desire to figure out what my life's purpose is. I think it's writing songs. It's what I did as a child, even before my first piano lesson. My mother died at 31 and wanted me to learn piano. So, I became this obsessive little girl who spent far too long on the piano bench, trying to learn a Mozart Minuet after four weeks of lessons. Had to make Mama proud. She knew I was a little songwriter--the quiet kid writing songs on napkins in restaurants while the grown-ups talked.

So, here I am. Determined to be wholely authentic, even if it's odd. I have ZERO recording equipment, but will be buying a few things so I can post some samples at least. Right now, I'm going through Robin Fredrick's book on songwriting tips. I'm going to do all 126 exercises, probably more than once. That's my first objective, anyways.

Nice to meet you!

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Hello

Post by Patrick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 pm

What a lovely introduction. I hope you enjoy your stay.

I too love songwriting, but consider myself to be just a so-so musician. Perhaps we could trade lyrics at some point?

Best,

Pat
Bad art can make you laugh
Good art can make you think
Great art can destroy you

- Me

(Did he just quote himself?? Yes! Yes I did!)

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Hello

Post by mojobone » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:53 am

Hello, I'm Mojo Bone. Welcome to the forum!
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone