Broadcast Quality Issue - Reprise

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Broadcast Quality Issue - Reprise

Post by LongBlackNight » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:00 am

I posted on Tuesday, Sep 25th regarding the clarity of a mix I submitted to Taxi, titled Happy Alec. The review came back saying, in so many words, that the mix was not broadcast quality and could use a little clarity. Several Taxi members generously offered great advice, and I followed up on that. This primarily involved lowering reverb and eq-ing ("eq carving" -- see YouTube for videos on this topic). I now have a new mix available along with the old mix for comparison here:

https://longblacknight.com/happy-alec

I believe the new mix is significantly better. Would appreciate people's comments, thanks!

____________________________________________________________________________________
For reference, here is the original listing and the reviewer's comments:

INSTRUMENTAL CUES for TV COMMERCIALS are needed by a High-End Music Library recently started by the CEO of another successful company. They’re looking for Positive, Inspiring, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that would fall within the general stylistic range of the following references we got directly from our client:

Song/Instrumental Reference 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ciV6zR ... e=youtu.be
Song/Instrumental Reference 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAn1dRy ... e=youtu.be

NOTE: The bar is going to be high for this request as this Music Library will be distributed through a MAJOR Publisher and will be looking for excellent composers for this catalog! Please submit uplifting, positive, inspiring, contemporary-sounding Instrumental Cues that incorporate some acoustic instrumentation. Having an “advertising-friendly” sound and vibe that could work well as background music in a variety of media could make this company happy.

Reviewer's Comments

Really nice composition. This listing requires broadcast quality with a very high production value. I think you may get closer to this by trying to balance the strings and piano levels more and using more eq and reverb if necessary on parts to attain more separation between your instruments.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Broadcast Quality Issue - Reprise

Post by ttully » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Yes this mix is much better.... the piano is up front and the strings are in the back.

Sounds like you took the blanket off of the speakers and moved out of the gymnasium!!!
It evens sounds a bit happier!
The snare still bothers me a bit... but at least the alot of the reverb is off of it!

Much improved.....

My 2 cents anyway,
Tim

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Yep New Version punches a lot better.
Kick and snare are your next candidates for broadcast quality.
A track like this needs to be on the money timing wise so you should use some editing tools to get them on the grid more. Don't worry, your'e not Robinson Crusoe here. It's a drag but....
I like using my snare for the feel and bounce the sticks have {not a drummer's left toenail here!} but I always go into pro tools and move my hits around. I use Trigger 2 to replace my crappy sounding snare.

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by LongBlackNight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:45 am

Tim, Lester...Thanks for following up with me.

Lester, regarding the kick/snare, is it the timing you're principally talking about or is it the sound?

Tim, you still think the snare has too much verb. Is there something else bothering you about it?

-jp

http://www.LongBlackNight.com

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:55 am

Hey JP,

No, not to much reverb.....
I think the snare sounds dated...if that makes any sense!
Listen to the snare in one of the examples..... I think only 1 example has a snare sound....if i remember.
It is very snappy and poppy......and yes I know it is electronic.

I think if the snare was a different sound, it would make a big difference.

Again, my 2 cents...someone else may say I'm completely wrong!
Tim

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by LongBlackNight » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:17 pm

I think you are right, as I know the snare is dated. It's a Yamaha Motif sound right off the board.
It's actually two snares that sound similar. I try to make the percussion sound reasonably human, so I hand play it and use more than one sound typically.
I normally think that's a good idea, but from what you have pointed out, the references use a fairly obviously electronic sound that doesn't vary.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi JP
Lester, regarding the kick/snare, is it the timing you're principally talking about or is it the sound?
Its the timing first for me then the sound.

It doesn't take too long to shift the hits around in groups [ if 2 or 3 hits are all out together] or singly, using keyboard shortcuts and grid mode in your editor. I prefer this method to using elastic audio in Pro tools. Each DAW is probably a little different but should have the tools to achieve the desired result.

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by LongBlackNight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am

Hey, I worked on the snare and put up a "Newest" version. Main changes are an improved (I hope) snare sound and some timing fixes, although I couldn't zero in on the timing problem that Lester referred to. Comments appreciated, thnx!

Recap:

Happy Alec (Old Version) - The version that was rejected by Taxi before I made improvements suggested on this board.
Happy Alec (New Version) - After I made improvements suggested on this board.
Happy Alec (Newest Version) - Changed snare sound and edited some hits.

https://longblacknight.com/happy-alec

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:01 pm

Its good what you have done but there are still some issues that haven't been addressed [but this is only my opinion]

To get a quick idea of what needs to be done put a multi band eq plugin on the master bus.
Solo a band on your EQ and sweep it through the whole range high to low and back etc. See what you can hear.

1. the top is very bright and cutting. Put a 6dB octave shelving cut at 9k
2. The highs from 2k to 7 or 8k are overly represented- put a wide Q 2-2.5dB cut at 3K
3. Low end is cluttered- Put a 6 or 12dB octave high pass at 40Hz

In the mixer notch out with a narrow cut some 60 Hz from any instruments you heard during sweeping-bass especially and keys to let the kick come through. Put a wider cut around 120 on the kick and keys for the bass to come through. Cut a little at 210 from kick, bass and keys for the snare [ the snare needs more weight there].
Take a little out of nearly everything at 350 to 400/450 to reduce boxiness.
Ideally the moves you made on the master bus with EQ would have been done on individual tracks.

HTH

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Yes, I completely agree with Lester.......

It is very bright.... some of the piano notes are very piercing....I am listening with headphones

Try lesmac's suggestions and put it back up here.

You should also A/B to the examples.

Tim