Is this a good candidate for the current alt-folk cue listing?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RustyP
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Is this a good candidate for the current alt-folk cue listing?

Post by RustyP » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:20 am

Hey folks,
I just joined Taxi and I figure I should begin to make the best of it and give it my best shot! :)
So, I have a cue that I'm thinking of submitting for the current alt-folk cue listing.
https://soundcloud.com/rusty-perez/sacred-rain

What are your thoughts? Do you think it lives up to the expectations?

questions: Is the ending too abrupt?
Does it do a good job of evolving without becoming monotonous?
Any suggestions?

The description is:
Please give them excellent Alt-Folk Instrumental Cues that have a slight Pop undertone in them. Your production can be relatively simple, or it can have a fuller band sound, as long as it’s somewhat consistent with the references above. Group harmonies, foot stomps, and handclaps could also potentially fit nicely with this request.
Be sure your Cues have genuine-sounding instrumentation and simple, engaging melodies that can stand on their own without becoming monotonous. Adding and subtracting additional instrumentation as your Cues progress will add forward momentum and a dynamic “arc.”
Your submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-Faded, Button/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Broadcast Quality is needed.

thanks!
Rusty

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Is this a good candidate for the current alt-folk cue listing?

Post by ttully » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Rusty,

Could you post the entire listing....or at least the examples....

Thanks,
Tim

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Hey Rusty,

Never mind...I found the listing
ALT-FOLK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a hot European Music Library that’s expanding their reach and catalog! They’re looking for top-notch Instrumental Cues in All-Tempos that are in the general stylistic ballpark of these references:

“Summer Light” by The Cave Singers

“Boy with a Coin” by Iron and Wine

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only!
Please give them excellent Alt-Folk Instrumental Cues that have a slight Pop undertone in them. Your production can be relatively simple, or it can have a fuller band sound, as long as it’s somewhat consistent with the references above. Group harmonies, foot stomps, and handclaps could also potentially fit nicely with this request.

Be sure your Cues have genuine-sounding instrumentation and simple, engaging melodies that can stand on their own without becoming monotonous. Adding and subtracting additional instrumentation as your Cues progress will add forward momentum and a dynamic “arc.”

Your submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-Faded, Button/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Cues you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you'd like online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT), on Saturday, October 13th, 2018. TAXI #Y181013AF

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:24 pm

OK,

The examples both have a picked guitar sound....your has all strumming.
The examples are sort of uplifting sounding.....yours is kind of sad sounding. (this is the dealbreaker to me)
Also the examples have some driving percussion...although in the Cave Dwellers track it is a quiet bass drum...it still drives the track.

In my opinion.... although you track is good....it does not fit the listing.

Again, just my opinion!

Tim

RustyP
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RustyP » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Hey Tim, Thanks!
All good points which I did not take in to account! I'm new at this. :)

I had focused on the repeating chord progression in both, the interesting electronic elements in the second one.

The listing does mention that the cue should be "somewhat consistent" with the style, so I may take a chance with this one, but I have time to make more! :)

GuitarKit
Impressive
Impressive

Post by GuitarKit » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Rusty. Sounds like you're on the right path.
Here are some things that caught my attention:

Thought I heard some bad bass notes. One around the 59 secs mark.
You have used the same harmony intervals as Iron and wine, which is great helping yours sound in the ballpark of the ala's.
One thing for me is that both ala's are played quite passionately, whereas your track is a bit more laid back and smoother.
Also, I think there needs to be a bit more contrast like adding subtracting instruments.

By the way, we have all had the stuffing kicked out of us when submitting to peer review, so I hope you don't get upset with comments. Everyone here is on your side. It is a positive community.

RustyP
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RustyP » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Hey Kit! No chance I'll get upset. I appreciate the constructive criticism. I'll just take that and write a couple more for you guys to bash around! :)
Thanks! All good points. I hadn't focused on the picking and the mood really. So, back to the studio I go! :)