Road Rally 2018 Main Panels Announced

Talk about the rally here.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

admin
Site Admin

Road Rally 2018 Main Panels Announced

Postby admin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 am

I'm giving you guys and gals on the Forum first look at the Main Panels. We haven't announced these to the entire world yet. I had a schedule done more than two months ago, but then tore it all down and built it back up because I wanted it to be better than ever. I'm really happy now, and feel like we've got an incredible schedule in the Grand Ballroom.

As Rally veterans know, the Panels are just a piece of the overall Rally. We also have the One-to-One Mentor sessions, the Drivers Ed Classes, the Genre Listening Panels (non-film/TV Country, Pop, Urban, Jazz, etc.), and the Industry Eat & Greet Luncheons (which are already 2/3 sold out!). The 2018 info for those items will be posted in the next few days. Staff members are still getting and editing bios, class descriptions, and class titles for all that stuff, which is very much like herding cats ;)

Noteworthy: We have 4 Pitch/Feedback Panels in the Ballroom this year. For the last 21 years, we've had attendees put CDs in drop boxes prior to the panels. It usually creates a certain amount of chaos with last minute inclusions, people who can't find the drop boxes, etc. And then there's the issue of CDs being old technology. We use Disco (https://disco.ac/) to send music to our clients, and it looks to be a great way to facilitate playing music on the panels, so here's what we're doing this year...

3 of the 4 panels will NOT be using drop boxes or CDs this year. Instead, TAXI members who will be at the Rally and want to submit for those panels will be able to submit their music to any of THREE Road Rally-specific Listings that will be sent out shortly. The music will NOT be pre-screened. All of the music submitted for each Panel will be on a playlist at each of the panels, and music will be played randomly. Music not played at each of the panels will be given to TAXI A&R people AFTER the Rally, and they will choose the material that's strong enough that the panelists should hear it. That selected music will be sent as a playlist to all of the Music Supervisors and Music Licensing executives who were on that particular panel. Again, that will happen AFTER the Rally. We're estimating that will take a week or two.

For three of the four panels, only TAXI members can submit. We used to do it like that. We tried including music from guests beginning a couple of years ago, but so many members commented that they felt short-changed, that we've reverted back to members-only, with the exception of the last Panel of the Rally - the Happy Ending Pitch Panel on Sunday afternoon. THAT panel will be open to members and guests, and we will be using drop boxes and CDs for that one panel.

For the three panels using playlists in the ballroom, we will call out the name of the person whose music is up next, and if they're not in the ballroom, we'll move on to the next song or instrumental.

We've had a lot of past instances of music being played without its creator in the room, and that just didn't feel fair to the people who were in the ballroom waiting to hear if their music was played. We also saw quite a few instances of people putting multiple CDs in the boxes, which certainly wasn't in the spirit of fairness. We think this new system is going to work really well! I personally called several long-time TAXI members last Sunday to get their input on this change, and they endorsed the idea. They especially liked that music not played on the panels would be filtered after the Rally, with the best being sent to the panelists.

Those Panel-Specific Listings will be sent out this weekend (with any luck - we're pretty busy), so keep your eyes on your inbox!

Without any further adieu, here are the 2018 TAXI Road Rally Main Panels!

https://www.taxi.com/taxi-road-rally-2018.php

Click the first tab/button (blue) on the page, or just scroll down. And please remember, we're working hard to get all the other information updated very soon!

Enjoy,
Michael
funsongs
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Road Rally 2018 Main Panels Announced

Postby funsongs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:19 pm

admin wrote: so here's what we're doing this year...

3 of the 4 panels will NOT be using drop boxes or CDs this year. Instead, TAXI members who will be at the Rally and want to submit for those panels will be able to submit their music to any of THREE Road Rally-specific Listings that will be sent out shortly. The music will NOT be pre-screened. All of the music submitted for each Panel will be on a playlist at each of the panels, and music will be played randomly. Music not played at each of the panels will be given to TAXI A&R people AFTER the Rally, and they will choose the material that's strong enough that the panelists should hear it. That selected music will be sent as a playlist to all of the Music Supervisors and Music Licensing executives who were on that particular panel. Again, that will happen AFTER the Rally. We're estimating that will take a week or two.

For three of the four panels, only TAXI members can submit. We used to do it like that. We tried including music from guests beginning a couple of years ago, but so many members commented that they felt short-changed, that we've reverted back to members-only, with the exception of the last Panel of the Rally - the Happy Ending Pitch Panel on Sunday afternoon. THAT panel will be open to members and guests, and we will be using drop boxes and CDs for that one panel.

For the three panels using playlists in the ballroom, we will call out the name of the person whose music is up next, and if they're not in the ballroom, we'll move on to the next song or instrumental.

We've had a lot of past instances of music being played without its creator in the room, and that just didn't feel fair to the people who were in the ballroom waiting to hear if their music was played. We also saw quite a few instances of people putting multiple CDs in the boxes, which certainly wasn't in the spirit of fairness. We think this new system is going to work really well! I personally called several long-time TAXI members last Sunday to get their input on this change, and they endorsed the idea. They especially liked that music not played on the panels would be filtered after the Rally, with the best being sent to the panelists.

Those Panel-Specific Listings will be sent out this weekend (with any luck - we're pretty busy), so keep your eyes on your inbox!

Enjoy,
Michael

So - for us non-Facebook, no smart-phone, Old Guy non-techies - hopefully this process will be simple enough and 'adaptable'.
Looking forward to the RR and its new nuances.
Thank you, Michael & TAXI staff...
Seeya real soon! WOOHOO! and CHEERS! :? :shock: :)
Peter Rahill
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://taxi.com/peterrahill
“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Yo Rahill!

Facebook and phones don't really come into play for these. All you need to do is make a submission like you would for any other listing! Easy breezy. And I knwo you've got a computer because you posted here :lol:

See you soon,
Michael
jaywilliams

Postby jaywilliams » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:43 pm

well dang I take it this means the class schedule I printed out and highlighted is out of date?

good thing I have more paper and ink!
see you at the top!
Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Postby Casey H » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 pm

LIKE!
Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Postby Kolstad » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:53 am

Sweet panels, and congrats to Matt!
cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Postby cassmcentee » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:37 am

Starting it out with a bang!
Yet absolutely solid all the way through!
Thank you and your team for working so hard for us
It is greatly appreciated
Last edited by cassmcentee on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remmet
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Postby remmet » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:43 pm

Wow, what an inspired new approach to listening panel submissions! Perfect marriage of logistics and technology!

Looking forward to seeing my extended family soon!

Richard
ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Postby ronnie35 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:23 pm

VERY COOL!

RON
Aesthetically Pleasing Compositions for Media. " I Learned to Fly But I Ain't Got Wings Coming Down is the hardest Thing" Tom Petty 1950 -2017 ;)
WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Postby WeWillWriteUaSong » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing my peeps! See you in 20 days! Thank you to Michael and all the TAXI staff for their hard work putting this together for us! :D
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong