Looking for Mic Recommendations

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Looking for Mic Recommendations

Post by mojobone » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:22 am

If you're new to multipattern condensers, it's hard to go wrong with the Lauten Atlantis; it's unlikely there's an LDC FET sound you can't get with it, a real desert-island choice. It's a bit beyond your quoted range, but if you don't record large ensembles, it could keep you well-satisfied for decades. If what you're really after is a different flavor, you might want to check out Royer's R-10 ribbon.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:08 pm

mojobone wrote:If you're new to multipattern condensers, it's hard to go wrong with the Lauten Atlantis; it's unlikely there's an LDC FET sound you can't get with it, a real desert-island choice. It's a bit beyond your quoted range, but if you don't record large ensembles, it could keep you well-satisfied for decades. If what you're really after is a different flavor, you might want to check out Royer's R-10 ribbon.
Hey Mojo--

I'm liking what I'm reading about the R10. It looks like the main reason I never went ribbon (fragile) has been solved here.
It made my list!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Joya2islam

Post by Joya2islam » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Razor7Music wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:16 pm
Hello Group--

I've been doing a low-key search for a large diaphragm condenser mic for live vocals for my small project studio.

Been using a Rode NT-1000 for decades, love it, but it's my only condenser, so I'm looking for another go-to mic for vocals.

As much as I like to window shop those really nice models out there, money is an object for me -- so keeping about $400 - $600 US max is a must for me (even if I buy used).

I've never worked with mics with pad or pattern control, so I don't want to rule those out.

What do you like?

Thanks!!
I have a BD dynamic mic and headphones right now. That is thinking outside the box for stage mics for recording only, but I like thinking outside the box. I'll do a little more research and do a comparison. Thank you!!
I am a writer. I write on different blogs & forums. Find my recent post is on https://reviewsdone.com/

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am

Ive been though a few mics, but the best of the bunch has to be the Shure Beta 27. Quiet, tight and full sounding, works on many sources. Very flat response, and easy to mix. Quite different from your Rode too, so Id encourage you to check the Shure out. Bargain quality.

Lewitt also has some bftb mics!
Last edited by Kolstad on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ceo of my own life

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:53 am

For medium price range/bang for buck mics I've always had good success with Audio Technica, I have a 4047 right now as my main vocal mic. That said i just did a tune using a 57 on everything and it killed. My next mic will probably be a Shure sm-7.

Noego
Active
Active

Post by Noego » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Advanced Audio gets great reviews. I have Neumann mics but have heard they are quite good and well priced.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:01 pm

I appreciate all of the suggestions. I wish I still had the option of lining all the mics up through the same setup and just a/b them all.

Thanks!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

tonedimension
Active
Active

Post by tonedimension » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:37 am

I'd say the Lauten mics are one definite possibility, as Mojo suggested. If your budget will allow I think you should check out the AEA KU5A. I have had one for a couple months now and I really love it especially since I prefer tracking things in my control room. I should mention that I'm a ribbon mic lover (maybe even fanatic) and the AEA stuff is exceptional. Anyway, ribbons are lovely creatures and while they do have some extra considerations like protecting them from gusts of wind, they are not nearly as fragile as people seem to believe. Well, at least not the AEA and Royer mics I own/have owned.

You really owe it to yourself to give some quality ribbons a go because they are sweet!
Bryan...

"Record like there is no mixing and mix like there is no mastering."

https://www.bryannicholas.com
https://soundcloud.com/tonedimension

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm

The downside to many modern ribbons isn't fragility, though it's still of concern with some; Cascade mics, in particular are true to their inspirations; they can handle higher SPLs than their vintage counterparts, but without a buffer, can still succumb to breakage, if phantom power is accidentally applied.

Non-active ribbons and other dynamics tend to have low output, they're a poor choice for prosumer audio interfaces; the solution is to keep a Cloudlifter handy. A Cloudlifter is a sort of active direct box specifically designed for dynamic/ribbon mics. It runs on phantom power and protects passive ribbons from damage. Active ribbons could be said to have a Cloudlifter built in, in a manner of speaking; they can generally handle high SPLs, as well.

Ribbons and other dynamics can benefit from 60-70dB of clean gain, but many prosumer interfaces have mic preamps that top out at 45-50 dB of gain, and such cheap preamps are prone to noise. This means double damage, if you're recording at home, in a noisy space to begin with, but with a little care and forethought, ribbons can achieve a kind of fat, juicy midrange that's otherwise hard to obtain.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:27 pm

mojobone wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm
but without a buffer, can still succumb to breakage, if phantom power is accidentally applied.
I have nightmares about this right here.

"You're sure phantom power isn't on, right? It's also called 48v"

"Yeah, I checked"

"Well will you please go double check... then come back, and check again. Thanks"

"Nevermind, I'll go check"

:lol:

Andrew