How long do you wait before shopping a forwarded "Exclusive" track to other listings / entities?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

How long do you wait before shopping a forwarded "Exclusive" track to other listings / entities?

Post by Unstar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 am

Greets.

I did several searches and I didn't find anything specific to this question.

Let's say one of your tracks got forwarded to a listing with "Exclusive" (potential) use of the track. How long do you wait after the forward before you decide to start pitching that track to other listings / entities? In other words, at what point do you forego the exclusivity of that track?

Keep in mind I saw a thread recently where someone was contacted around 13 months after a forward about a track. Would you keep that track "exclusive" for over a year?

Cheers,

-Vic
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: How long do you wait before shopping a forwarded "Exclusive" track to other listings / entities?

Post by hummingbird » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:36 am

Most would recommend that you keep shopping the track until you get a deal.

For myself I usually wait about 3 months before pitching it elsewhere.

H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: How long do you wait before shopping a forwarded "Exclusive" track to other listings / entities?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:58 pm

I would wait about a nanosecond then send it somewhere else

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:27 pm

Unstar wrote:How long do you wait after the forward before you decide to start pitching that track to other listings / entities? In other words, at what point do you forego the exclusivity of that track?
Hey Vic,

Forwards are great but the only way someone else owns the exclusive rights to that song, is if you sign a tangible exclusive contract. Which means documentation that you read and understand before you sign.

You can submit to as many listings as you like until you SIGN exclusively. Even if you sign a song exclusively and someone from a TAXI listing (Prior to signing) is interested in that song after the fact… you can still tell them… I have already signed that track exclusively but I will write you 10 more just like it.

Being able to repetitively churn out high quality music is what allows you to sign music to more than one entity or as we like to call them.. Music Libraries or Publishers.

You should always be productive, even when you have some successes. Be that forwards or contracts.

Bottom line..
Exclusive contracts are binding! Never submit a track anywhere after signing (that track) to one but until you do sign one, you’re good to go.

“Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat” .. a good motto for us to live by!

Stay busy,

Dan

P.S.
I am not a lawyer but this is all basic stuff.
I almost forgot to mention (the most important thing), MUSIC LIBRARIES WILL CONTACT YOU IF THEY ARE INTERESTED! usually by email
Last edited by DannyWeber on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:06 pm

hummingbird wrote:Most would recommend that you keep shopping the track until you get a deal.

For myself I usually wait about 3 months before pitching it elsewhere.

H
I'm thinking the same thing. Maybe 3 to 6 months depending on how lucrative that specific listing may be. It would be pretty frustrating if i hear back that they want that specific exclusive track for their submission like 8 months after submitting and I've moved on with that track to a much less lucrative listing.

But like Danny Weber says above, keep writing and submitting and churning them out.
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 pm

One thing I think is true: if you keep writing and submitting, 6 months from now that great track you submitted might still be great... but your experience and chops are 6 months older and perhaps a wee bit better... so don't hold on too tight to something forwarded... be inspired by that to write 5 or 10 more just like it ;)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:37 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:I would wait about a nanosecond then send it somewhere else
Agreed!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:35 pm

I would never not pitch or sign something because I'm waiting to hear about another opp that probably won't pan out. I always go with the bird in hand.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Exactly.

Wait about a nanosecond.
Go with the Bird in hand.

If they wait months to get back to you, so be it. You can always write them something in the style of the original track.

With shorter term situations like commercials - its over in a week. If you haven't heard after a week - assume that ship has sailed. They have either changed direction (which happens so often) or they have found something that works.

With music supervisor listings - sure the super could get back to you in a year and have found another use for your track, and hopefully you reserved it as a non-exclusive track in your library. Thats also a long shot.

It makes a lot of sense to diversify your tracks, and cover a range of situations but you can't hold back from getting on with writing and signing.

Non-ex libraries.
Non-ex direct placements.
Exclusive libraries / copyright transfer / shared pub and licensing
Exclusive libraries / sync buyout / WFH

All have a place in most peoples music business. Consider how you want to work yours.