A sincere thanks for dissuading me from joining Taxi (for now)

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: A sincere thanks for dissuading me from joining Taxi (for now)

Post by Unstar » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:36 am

ShannonM wrote:I think you should definitely join as soon as you can financially do so. The Taxi membership is so worth it! I have been a member for about 10 months, have had a few forwards and no deals yet, but have learned so much. Every return you get, even if it is just a "yes or no" response, contains feedback from music industry experts, which will help you improve so much faster than if you did not submit your tracks. I can't believe how many years of my life being a musician, I didn't know about Taxi, and am thankful to have come across it randomly one day on Google! Since you know about it and can see how awesome it is, may as well just join now! All the best to you!
For sure! Very likely much sooner than I originally planned. :) I'm woodshedding these crazy softwares at the moment. So much to learn!
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven

ChrisRaggatt

Post by ChrisRaggatt » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Vic

I agree with the points from the guys above. If you want to learn the industry then Taxi is a great way to do so.

I’ve been a member for about 15 months and got something like 13 forwards in the first half a year, but after immersing myself in all the information and getting the support Taxi and it’s members provide, I’m now on 74 forwards. The main thing for me was the feedback from the screeners. I submitted loads of tracks and when some were rejected I was given a reason from the screeners and after tweaks to my process the success rate went up.

The other thing is that writing to briefs is a lot different to having a catalogue of songs and hoping they fit. I’ve been writing songs since the 90s, I probably have around a thousand or so, yet I’m not sure many of them would fit the briefs. I think Vikki had a great idea above, about writing to the briefs and getting feedback from peers on the forums, if you can’t stretch to the sign up fee then doing that on the forums will definitely help you get ready in the meantime.

I’m still very much a beginner with Taxi, but my main point is that I feel I’ve learnt LOADS this first year and a bit. I feel I’m progressing because of Taxi, and I’m glad I signed up and took the plunge :)

Chris

carel11
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by carel11 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:19 am

thanks for the great post
I am you...in fact, I will bet there are many like you (us) here
I joined about a year and half ago and came to last years rally, thinking who i was
only to leave thinking who am I ?
I was crushed to see how many people were so good and so far ahead of me
I didnt play a note for 3 months and seriously considered just going fishing
but I kept watching the weekly taxi casts, and going over the wonderful notes I had taken at the very informative workshops,
from that rally (about production and writing technique)
I realized I simply had to start over. So, I did what the others here have posted, which was learn from my truth
To fix all those things that (like you) my heart of hearts knew needed to be brought to a higher lever
I am at this years rally, sitting in my room on sign in day,with several cues that I think are pretty damn good, and light years away
from what I was doing...Because of the deadlines, because of watching and learning from the weekily taxicasts, and being willing to learn
from the place I am at. I found we all (especially me) need mentors and teacher.....and comarades
so now I'm and I am gonna go out and meet some new people this weekend,
even if I'm uncomfortable, cause they are in touch with and living what I want to know
I'll let you know how it goes.....but we are very much the same..thanks for that post
a little rock, a little roll, and a rather unfocused gaze
carl wurzbach

https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
https://soundcloud.com/carelw
http://carlwurzbach.com

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 am

carel11 wrote:thanks for the great post
I am you...in fact, I will bet there are many like you (us) here
I joined about a year and half ago and came to last years rally, thinking who i was
only to leave thinking who am I ?
I was crushed to see how many people were so good and so far ahead of me
I didnt play a note for 3 months and seriously considered just going fishing
but I kept watching the weekly taxi casts, and going over the wonderful notes I had taken at the very informative workshops,
from that rally (about production and writing technique)
I realized I simply had to start over. So, I did what the others here have posted, which was learn from my truth
To fix all those things that (like you) my heart of hearts knew needed to be brought to a higher lever
I am at this years rally, sitting in my room on sign in day,with several cues that I think are pretty damn good, and light years away
from what I was doing...Because of the deadlines, because of watching and learning from the weekily taxicasts, and being willing to learn
from the place I am at. I found we all (especially me) need mentors and teacher.....and comarades
so now I'm and I am gonna go out and meet some new people this weekend,
even if I'm uncomfortable, cause they are in touch with and living what I want to know
I'll let you know how it goes.....but we are very much the same..thanks for that post
Thanks for your reply. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one. :) I did the same thing this week. I reached to a couple of talented local musicians at an open mic night. It was great fun and they're intrigued by what I'm trying to do. Have fun at the rally! If things go as planned I will be there next year.

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:39 pm

hummingbird wrote:in the end it's better not to have 50 compositions trying to find a listing that 'might' fit... the more effective thing is to write specifically for listings.
dude - this.

also, I can well relate to your concerns about being a recluse-slash-introvert.

the Rally was very taxing, to put it mildly, but there's so much information.

honestly, the membership cost is nothing, and the travel costs really won't matter in the long run.

I'll post some Rally tips soon, things I wish I had done slightly differently, or will do differently in the future.

but if you're looking at that $300 and hesitating, just keep this in mind:

the Rally alone is worth it.

even if you discount the first night, if you even vaguely pay attention I'm quite certain you'll be able to learn something that will be worth at least $100 to you, every day of the Rally. it may not come from a class, it may come from a random encounter, thought, or inspiration, but it will come.

hope to see you there next year!

James Hagarty aka Jay Williams Productions
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:53 pm

jaywilliams wrote:
hummingbird wrote:in the end it's better not to have 50 compositions trying to find a listing that 'might' fit... the more effective thing is to write specifically for listings.
dude - this.

also, I can well relate to your concerns about being a recluse-slash-introvert.

the Rally was very taxing, to put it mildly, but there's so much information.

honestly, the membership cost is nothing, and the travel costs really won't matter in the long run.

I'll post some Rally tips soon, things I wish I had done slightly differently, or will do differently in the future.

but if you're looking at that $300 and hesitating, just keep this in mind:

the Rally alone is worth it.

even if you discount the first night, if you even vaguely pay attention I'm quite certain you'll be able to learn something that will be worth at least $100 to you, every day of the Rally. it may not come from a class, it may come from a random encounter, thought, or inspiration, but it will come.

hope to see you there next year!

James Hagarty aka Jay Williams Productions
Looking forward to your post! The Rally sounds really intriguing. There is probably tons of stuff I can absorb just from that.

Cheers

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:52 pm

// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:23 pm

Unstar wrote:Anyway, back to the point of this post. After reading the listings, listening to the forwards and reading many posts, I've come to the conclusion that I simply am not ready (good enough content) to become a Taxi member yet. I feel like it will take me 1-2 years before I can become a viable Taxi member. It would be a genuine waste of money.
We are all making music for our own reasons.

I've found that Taxi is the single biggest factor that has accelerated my improvement as a composer/mixer--basically trying to write in different styles on spec, and all of those deadlines. Basically its been a shot of adrenaline and source of focus/discipline.

I was definitely not ready when I joined Taxi (certainly not as ready as I thought I was) and I still have lots of misses (returns) but there has been so much improvement its easily been worth the money. That is I don't think there is a college course that would teach me what I've learned.

So you can a) wait until you are ready then join Taxi, or b) join and let the process (deadlines, writing in varied formats, paying attention to what the producers are asking for) speed up your advancement until you are where you need to be... I guarantee it will be sooner than otherwise.

Of course its up to you how you best learn, and where you invest your money.

Just saying'--Taxi has not yet worked out for me as a business investment, but for sure has helped me with my craft.
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

geofferic
Active
Active

Post by geofferic » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 am

Unstar,
I was going to reply to your post saying I too fit that description perfectly, I raise my hand in admission. Instead, after reading all the other replies I went ahead and signed up to TAXI.
I've done it. Now to get busy so i don't waste my fee.

Thanks Unstar for a great post.
Thanks every body who replied for giving me the push I needed.

Come on Unstar - "we" members are waiting for you now.

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:39 am

I'm in for the ride too now :) I got my first forward this week. Now I'm writing more... Welcome aboard -- Cheers!

-Vic