follow up with Industry folks after Rally?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

follow up with Industry folks after Rally?

Post by Susanstunes » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:29 pm

Hi everyone,
After my second Road Rally last weekend, I found myself much more confident since my first one was in 2016 and I was very green then- to say the least. This time, I had more music to share and way more knowledge about production, technology, and in general, the business. I had the pleasure of handing out my cards and cd's and website to several Industry "movers and shakers" and now am wondering if a quick polite email follow up to see if they had a chance to review my music might be appropriate.

Do you think it's too soon to follow up? Is a follow up generally accepted?

Cheers,
Susan

www.susanhillmanmusic.com

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: follow up with Industry folks after Rally?

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Hey Susan, I'll chime in here, as I was a mentor at this year's Road Rally and came home toting a bag full of business cards and CD's.

I've already received a handful of emails - some as soon as the Monday after the Rally - so it's definitely not too early to reach out to people. But from personal experience, it took me a few days to get settled in back home, catch up on some music requests, and clean the house, before I was able to even respond to a single person. Even my homie Mark Himley had to wait about 3 days for me to respond to him, lol.

To top it off, I haven't had a chance yet to listen to a single CD that I came home with. I've skimmed through the SoundCloud links of people who emailed me, but haven't yet put a CD in the CD player. I'll start going through those this weekend, but it'll be a long process.

So just because it's not too early to email, it doesn't mean anyone will have listened to your music yet. Just the way it goes.

Anyway, there's a little "insider" perspective for ya! Have a great weekend!!

~~Matt

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Susan,

I totally agree with Matt.

As a mentor/instructor I usually come home with 100 or more CDs/SoundCloud links. I always tell people that I'll listen to at least the first 3 songs on every CD but that it will probably take me 6 to 8 weeks to listen to them all (the CDs).... depending on my workload and family stuff with the holiday season about to kick in.

I also suggest to everyone I meet to put "TAXI RALLY" in the email subject when following up - to make sure I see it and make the Taxi connection.

Having said that, I've already had four or five emails - and - responded to them all today. So.....

In my opinion it's not too early to send an email.

:-)

deano k

coxnvox
Impressive
Impressive

Post by coxnvox » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:29 pm

deankripp wrote:
In my opinion it's not too early to send an email.
Is it too early to show up at your house with a behemoth boombox on my shoulder and blast my tracks at you as you lean out your upper floor bedroom window with a smile as if to say, "You're crazy, but I really like you" ?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good to see you at the Rally, Dean,

kerry cox (http://www.missionalscore.com)
James Cox
coxnvox music, evergreen, co
Founder and CEO - Missional Score
MissionalScore.com

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:30 pm

Is it too early to show up at your house with a behemoth boombox on my shoulder and blast my tracks at you as you lean out your upper floor bedroom window with a smile as if to say, "You're crazy, but I really like you" ?
If you hold the boombox high above your head while blasting Peter Gabriel's song In Your Eyes....you can "Say Anything"

;-)

good seeing you again as well KC

deano k

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Susanstunes » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:22 am

VanderBoegh wrote:Hey Susan, I'll chime in here, as I was a mentor at this year's Road Rally and came home toting a bag full of business cards and CD's.

I've already received a handful of emails - some as soon as the Monday after the Rally - so it's definitely not too early to reach out to people. But from personal experience, it took me a few days to get settled in back home, catch up on some music requests, and clean the house, before I was able to even respond to a single person. Even my homie Mark Himley had to wait about 3 days for me to respond to him, lol.

To top it off, I haven't had a chance yet to listen to a single CD that I came home with. I've skimmed through the SoundCloud links of people who emailed me, but haven't yet put a CD in the CD player. I'll start going through those this weekend, but it'll be a long process.

So just because it's not too early to email, it doesn't mean anyone will have listened to your music yet. Just the way it goes.

Anyway, there's a little "insider" perspective for ya! Have a great weekend!!

~~Matt
Hey Matt,
I appreciate your perspective on this. Went ahead and emailed a couple of them. Susan
http://www.susanhillmanmusic.com