with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Taxi Listing Submission Format

Post by pwaara » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been using mp3 for all of my Taxi submissions because of the metadata, but I could also use aif or flac, both of which support tags. What do others use? Would it be better to use aif or flac for the improved audio quality? Looking for opinions. Taxi feedback would be really great.

~Pat

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Taxi Listing Submission Format

Post by funsongs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Commenting without checking - but, I seem to recall that the TAXI Homepage where you load the files only accepts mp3s - unless that's been upgraded.
I've just begun the process of learning & loading the contact info to mp3s before placing them into my page.
HTH.
Good to meet you at the rally.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:14 pm

funsongs wrote:Commenting without checking - but, I seem to recall that the TAXI Homepage where you load the files only accepts mp3s - unless that's been upgraded.
I've just begun the process of learning & loading the contact info to mp3s before placing them into my page.
HTH.
Good to meet you at the rally.
Good point, Peter. I just checked and sure enough at the very top of the upload page it says, "(mp3 files only -- up to 192kbps)." I guess that explains why I've only uploaded mp3s :D . Perhaps if they do end up moving to Disco for submissions, we'll get the chance to upload aif or flac.

Yes, it was nice to meet you at the Rally as well. Meeting people is my favorite part of the whole weekend.

jazzstan
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jazzstan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:32 pm

It will accept higher Kbps than 192. I've been do 320 for quite a few years.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:20 pm

mp3s... You should tag them with the basics--- title and your name & contact info.

And there really is no reason to upload an mp3 with greater resolution than 192K. A well mixed track will sound fine at 192K, certainly good enough for a screening. I pitch 192K to libraries all the time. One very Taxi-friendly library many of us work with still screens at 128K!

The notion that your results will be better if you could upload at higher resolutions is very much a false one.

Best,
:D Casey

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:37 pm

jazzstan wrote:It will accept higher Kbps than 192. I've been do 320 for quite a few years.
:? ... well, that's cause there are WAAAAAAAAYYYY more notes in a Jazz tune, donchyaknow?! :? :lol:

Rock N Roll = 3 chords and thousands of fans go nuts.
Jazz = thousands of chords and 3 people go nuts.

Couldn't resist. :D
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:37 pm

A related question--I have had multiple forwards, but no placements, so I don't know what happens after someone wants to place a forward. Do they ask you for better quality formats at that time (e.g., aiff or flac? If that's true, then the upload format really doesn't matter. I had always assumed that the person placing your track was using the track you uploaded to Taxi. Can someone clarify that for me?

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Hey Pat, as the other guys have said, mp3's are just fine during the submission & screening process. If a company wants to sign your music, they'll reach out to you and ask you deliver the music in their specified format - which is usually an aif or wav, but is sometimes (believe it or not) a 320 kbps mp3. At that point, they'll also ask for stems, alt mixes, etc, and specify the bit rate and other details.

~~Matt

pwaara
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by pwaara » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:35 am

VanderBoegh wrote:Hey Pat, as the other guys have said, mp3's are just fine during the submission & screening process. If a company wants to sign your music, they'll reach out to you and ask you deliver the music in their specified format - which is usually an aif or wav, but is sometimes (believe it or not) a 320 kbps mp3. At that point, they'll also ask for stems, alt mixes, etc, and specify the bit rate and other details.

~~Matt
Thanks, Matt. That's exactly the info I was looking for. It's good to know the whole process. Someday soon I hope to know it from first hand experience. Cheers.

bakerstreet
Active
Active

Post by bakerstreet » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:01 am

What about 48Khz v 44.1Khz? As these are cues for use with video, do we bounce at 48Khz or am I getting confused over nothing?
Paul Howes (aka Reg) - Don't ask, unless we are at the bar.

"The greatest art in the world is the art of story telling" - Cecil B DeMille

I hope you music tells a story.