Tell Me All Your Thoughts on CD Baby - Digi Dist

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Tell Me All Your Thoughts on CD Baby - Digi Dist

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Hello All

Len posted a great point on a different post of mine suggesting I get some feedback from more Taxi members that have experience regarding using CD Baby for digital music distribution ala iTunes, Amazon and the like. I just starting playing with the idea, so I am as far from versed in the details as you can get. Of course, I wouldn't sign up for anything without all the information first. You all have a lot of experience AND are also members of Taxi, so I sincerely value your input here.

I am a member of BMI and own 100% of my publishing. I'm also an aspiring Taxi member looking for placements (like us all). I've read much of the information posted on the CD Baby website regarding digi dist, and the potential issue I see is the publishing aspect as it relates to Taxi listings for music libraries.

What are some other pros or cons for using CD Baby for selling one's tracks? No bueno? Bueno?
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Tell Me All Your Thoughts on CD Baby - Digi Dist

Post by funsongs » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Stephen - Hi - just sent you a PM about this. :? :o :shock: 8-)
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:20 am

So I had a song a few years back get promoted on a youtube channel and get 150k+ spotify plays. I made about $400 of the streams, and still get $20 payments every here and there. Nothing too crazy. To put it on spotify, I used CD Baby, so I only had to pay $15 once. That 20% commission was definitely worth it given I'm not having to continue paying anyone to keep those occasional $20 payments rolling in.

If you're already a successful artist who can comfortably bring in a consistent profit in streams and downloads, it's worth spending on a service like tunecore to keep 100%. However, if you're in a position like I was in, it's really nice to only have to pay once and not have to worry about continuing to pay anything.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:47 am

NaeDae wrote:So I had a song a few years back get promoted on a youtube channel and get 150k+ spotify plays. I made about $400 of the streams, and still get $20 payments every here and there. Nothing too crazy. To put it on spotify, I used CD Baby, so I only had to pay $15 once. That 20% commission was definitely worth it given I'm not having to continue paying anyone to keep those occasional $20 payments rolling in.

If you're already a successful artist who can comfortably bring in a consistent profit in streams and downloads, it's worth spending on a service like tunecore to keep 100%. However, if you're in a position like I was in, it's really nice to only have to pay once and not have to worry about continuing to pay anything.
Sounds pretty good. Do you know what would happen if you now tried to submit that same track to a Taxi listing? Say, for a library?
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Razor7Music wrote:
NaeDae wrote:So I had a song a few years back get promoted on a youtube channel and get 150k+ spotify plays. I made about $400 of the streams, and still get $20 payments every here and there. Nothing too crazy. To put it on spotify, I used CD Baby, so I only had to pay $15 once. That 20% commission was definitely worth it given I'm not having to continue paying anyone to keep those occasional $20 payments rolling in.

Sounds pretty good. Do you know what would happen if you now tried to submit that same track to a Taxi listing? Say, for a library?
I have no clue but that's a good question. Maybe ask in the business section.