What would you do with this (pop/EDM) ?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

What would you do with this (pop/EDM) ?

Post by stansongman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:41 pm

I started producing for Pop/EDM tracks for a current listing. This is what came out: https://soundcloud.com/stansongman/call-my-own/s-lkwTB
I think to get a forward for this, I probably need to way tone down the drop, since it's a dubstep drop, except I really kind of like it. My daughter did too, but wouldn't work under dialog.
But, what about all the vocal-ish stuff in there, could I take out the wobbles/etc., and leave the vocal-ish tracks in there? I really haven't pitched much for this genre, so any advice is welcome!

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: What would you do with this (pop/EDM) ?

Post by ttully » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi Stan,

I am only going to comment about 2 things.
First the dubstep stuff is fairly mild ...so it would probably be fine for pop...also sometimes pop has dubstep stuff in it.
Second...I would not have all the quiet parts before the drops be the same.... make maybe the 2nd and third one pause twice as long...to build the anticipation.
also maybe make the 2nd and or the 3rd build up to the drop twice as long...also to build more anticipation

My 2 cents worth,
Tim

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:57 am

stansongman wrote:I started producing for Pop/EDM tracks for a current listing. This is what came out: https://soundcloud.com/stansongman/call-my-own/s-lkwTB
I think to get a forward for this, I probably need to way tone down the drop, since it's a dubstep drop, except I really kind of like it. My daughter did too, but wouldn't work under dialog.
But, what about all the vocal-ish stuff in there, could I take out the wobbles/etc., and leave the vocal-ish tracks in there? I really haven't pitched much for this genre, so any advice is welcome!
Would need to read the listing and hear the Ref tracks but sounds pretty tame to me for a Pop EDM track..some of the sounds seem dated and the drums are not hitting anywhere near hard enough..some of the sounds in the drop don't really go with the rest of it IMHO

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:10 am

Thanks for the feedback! Here's the listing. I definitely need more practice with current pop/EDM production. Actually, this is Dance/EDM, but the refs don't seem very danceable to me.

CURRENT-SOUNDING DANCE/EDM INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a busy, NON-Exclusive Music Library that’s pitching directly to a huge European Production Company for its roster of Hit TV Shows.

They’re on the hunt for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic ballpark of the following references:

“Whenever” by Kris Kross Amsterdam x The Boy Next Door Ft. Conor Maynard

“Burn Out” by Martin Garrix & Justin Mylo ft. Dewain Whitmore

“Tie Me Down” by Gryffin Ft.Elley Duhé

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only! Please submit rhythmically and melodically compelling EDM Instrumental Cues with a contemporary sound, great builds, and catchy melodic hooks. Build your submissions around a central melodic theme and keep it dynamic and forward moving by layering electronic elements in and out as it progresses.

TAXI Tip: Please make sure your track doesn’t become too busy or overpowering, as it could be a distraction from dialogue.

Submissions should have Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings. Keep track lengths reasonable - 90 second to 3 minute pieces are fine, six minute pieces are not. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a guide for texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. You’ll split any applicable sync fees 50/50. You’ll get 100% of the Master rights and Writer’s share, and the Library will get 100% of the Publishing for any placements they generate. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit for this opportunity. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or on CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST), on Saturday, November 24th, 2018. TAXI #Y181124DE

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 am

OKay these are not reminding me of what you have written...just break it down...

First 10 seconds of each track:-

Garrix ..filtered acoustic..8th note picking pattern..a vocal with reverb that's been reversed and filtered

Kriss Kross.. Tropical vibe..marimba or Kalimba pattern over fingersnaps & filtered synth vocal type patch rising to a big thumpy sounding kick / impact

Gryffin..Vocal that's been pitch shifted , filtered possibbly reversed in places ..3 chords played on an electric type piano , again filtered..riser into an electronic sounding kick

Now yours...

Bonnie Tyler 80's piano part..that's dating right off the bat..riser is proabbly fine as are the vox parts if they have the right FX applied. After that riser I was expecting some impactful drums and they never came.

I would change your piano sound, just keep it simple and just play single chords..filter whatever sound you choose..add a beefy kick and go from there..and really study those tracks, write it down if you have to. Some of the music you have is good but production is nothing like the target.

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:53 pm

I didn't think so, since a lot of current pop uses those kinds of cut-up vocal samples for melody lines, and they aren't really lyrical vocals. But, I think for something behind dialog, I probably overdid everything.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:46 pm

It needs a redo, or at least a rethink or maybe just write a whole new cue.

There are a lot of things that you can glean from the reference tracks if you listen to all three and break them down as Cosmic Dolphin did very quickly.

At this point - pop / edm / and future bass are pretty closely related.

It’s basically verse / build / drop
How well you can knit interesting and simple ideas together in the three parts determines how closely you can pitch a track in this genre.

You are on with using the vocal chops - but not with the wide panning, high activity and the fact that it’s window dressing instead of a more important part of the tune - like a main melody.

Similar with the build - it’s got the right formula but those particular patterns and sounds are pretty overused at this point.

All the sounds you are using with the possible exception of the bass sound could work if you simplified what you are playing and kept the overlaid rhythms simpler in the drop (for one example). They would work a lot better if you employed some filtering, some rhythmic sidechaining, and played almost minimally to let your use of interesting reverbs and delays come to the forefront instead of being buried by density.

To try and sum this up another way;

Take the Gryffin tune. Toss the vocals. Make a tune that sounds like the instrumental bed with your own melodies and rhythms, and add a very sparse vocal chop or interesting synth melody overtop in the drops and you might have something.

If you are wondering how this could work - spend a couple of light hours watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians and listen to the music that is always playing on scene transitions. It’s often “future bass” style stuff, sometimes with a faster pop tempo (let’s say 90-125 bpm) instead of the more pokey 70-80 bpm (or 140-160 bpm if you count it at double time) that most future bass goes for. That right there is a barometer for stuff that is working. I am not talking the trap tension stuff either but that’s good stuff too.

IMO.

Good luck!
Last edited by andygabrys on Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stansongman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by stansongman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks, for all the great feedback. I'll do some more homework, and keep at it!

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Finally something I can help with.

Use a nexus (sounds of summer expansion) preset or something that sounds less like a piano. Also I'd suggest more reverb.

Another tip on the piano is that the melody you played sounds too busy and kind of 80's in a bad way. Instead try playing chords to do a tropical house cliche thing. You can mix it up but that's one groove that's trending. And the kick is usually every 1/4 note.

Also a huge tip, get on splice and get your drums from Mantra or MDL's kits. Your drums don't actually sound bad though.

I like the vox lead but an editor might find it hard to put under dialogue. Still sounds good though so it's up to you. Definitely makes it sound current.

Another huge tip is to sidechain the hell out of everything, especially the lead piano. Either sidechain to the kick or just sidechain using Nicki Romero kickstart and just keep it pumping on 1/4 notes.