25 forwards, 0 deals

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: 25 forwards, 0 deals

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:45 am

fuzzbox wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 am
Don't take a deal just to have a deal.
Words of wisdom!

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:22 am

fuzzbox wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 am
I have had one Forward... out of 20 submissions.... so, erm... that's 5% :oops: but I did get a reply. But the cue had inconsistencies I was told by the library, so they didn't take it further. However, I was asked for a link to my back catalogue where they liked a song (no cue) from it and offered a contract. The contract was not in my favour... not even close. You definitely have to read them closely. What I'm trying to say is that there's deals and there's deals. Don't take a deal just to have a deal.

Keep doing what you're doing, it sounds like you don't have a quality issue. It's only a matter of time. 8-) ;)
I think it's interesting that a library contacted you to inform you about "inconsistencies". I would think they wouldn't contact someone if a track was not going to get placed..?

-Vic
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm

160 forwards X $5 = $800.

Not to mention the tracks that did not get forwarded and yearly membership fees.

That is not a cheap learning experience.
I would not exactly call it a learning experience ..... I have been doing this for a long time and have thousand of tracks on TV.... this is recent!!!
It is just getting tougher!

Tim

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:49 pm

ttully wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm
160 forwards X $5 = $800.

Not to mention the tracks that did not get forwarded and yearly membership fees.

That is not a cheap learning experience.
I would not exactly call it a learning experience ..... I have been doing this for a long time and have thousand of tracks on TV.... this is recent!!!

Tim
Yeah, too much music out there.

Libraries just get slammed with the stuff. And most are run by one or two people. So sorting through the music takes forever.

Plus, with so much music, they don’t have to take whatever they get. They have the upper hand at the moment.

That is why working and collaborating with others already in the game can be a great way to get work without having to pound the pavement so to speak.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Libraries just get slammed with the stuff. And most are run by one or two people. So sorting through the music takes forever.

Plus, with so much music, they don’t have to take whatever they get. They have the upper hand at the moment.
Exactly..... one library that I deal with all the time only wants 1 track submitted for each request they have.... this started a few months ago.
They say due to the large amount of submissions we receive for each request....please send only 1 track....I used to give them 3 or 4 each time.

Tim

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:25 am

Over 7 years about 100 forwards and no contact. But I still have success through Taxi and the people who helped me make other contacts with much success. This is not a sprint but a marathon :) Hang in there!

Tom

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Exactly !!!!

The market is flooded with tons of people doing this....and it is so much easier now to
compose a great sounding tracks than it used to be.

Tim

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 am
DesireInspires wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:49 pm
ttully wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Libraries just get slammed with the stuff.
So what is the reason? DAWs and other software getting so good, that anyone can enter the market? Is that what it is?

Forget the reasons. You just have to find a way to get to the front of the line.

Co-writing with other people on a song or album is an easy way to gain exposure to your work without doing everything on your own.

I’d focus on contacting other composers and making songs and albums with them. In the pop music world, songs have many co-writers. There is no reason why music library composers can’t gather and do the same thing. Compliment each other’s skills and make moves together.

Holler at me if anyone wants to knock out some tracks.

Unstar
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Unstar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:27 am

DesireInspires wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm
CTWF wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:51 am
DesireInspires wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Libraries just get slammed with the stuff.
So what is the reason? DAWs and other software getting so good, that anyone can enter the market? Is that what it is?

Forget the reasons. You just have to find a way to get to the front of the line.

Co-writing with other people on a song or album is an easy way to gain exposure to your work without doing everything on your own.

I’d focus on contacting other composers and making songs and albums with them. In the pop music world, songs have many co-writers. There is no reason why music library composers can’t gather and do the same thing. Compliment each other’s skills and make moves together.

Holler at me if anyone wants to knock out some tracks.
Desire Inspires -- I recognized ya avatar from the Gearslutz forums :) Always enjoy your posts there. Always direct and to the point. Cheers.
* Vocals / Lryics / Songwriting / Arrangement
* https://www.facebook.com/ClassOf82QC/
"It's the gear, not the ear." ~Beethoven

teraannsitzmann
Active
Active

Post by teraannsitzmann » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi Wendy,

25 forwards out of how many submissions? That is awesome, I think. Were they songs or instrumentals cues?
I haven't submitted that much but all of it has been returned. Don't lose hope.