Help Interpreting a listing please?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Help Interpreting a listing please?

Post by SKM » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:00 pm

So I am trying to figure out how long this submission should be - Can someone please help me out? It doesn't have a time, but it is an instrumental so I'm wondering if they want a full length song since it is for an artist - or if they just want to hear a few different parts.

Here it is:

CHART-READY HIP-HOP/RAP INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Head of A&R at a Major Label for a Platinum-selling artist who’s working on her next album! They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that could be found on the same playlist as the following references:

WARNING: Some of the following references have graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

“Kream” by Iggy Azalea ft. Tyga

“Chun-Li” by Nicki Minaj

“La Modelo” by Ozuna Ft Cardi B

Quoting our Source: “They’re looking for innovative styles that could possibly launch a single for this chart-topping artist.”

Although the references have vocals, this pitch is for Instrumentals only.
Give them well-structured, swagger-filled Hip-Hop/Rap Instrumentals that have catchy melodies, cool-sounding ear candy, and hard-hitting drums! Instrumentals that sound more like records and less like music library tracks will probably work best.

TAXI TIP: Hip-Hop beats mixed with some retro styles could be an approach to take. You could also try using some Edgy Rock, EDM, Reggaeton, or Reggae influences. Just make sure it's fresh, modern-sounding, and innovative.

Your production and recording quality needs to be clean, clear, well-balanced, and good enough to represent your Instrumental well. Please submit as many instrumentals as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - Short Critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Thursday, December 13th 2018. TAXI # Y181213HI
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music

mikemichnya
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Help Interpreting a listing please?

Post by mikemichnya » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Hey SKM,

Not my kind of music, but I'm happy to share MTC, FWIW.

I'd go with full songs. The Iggy Azalea song is 2:47, and a very tight (no pun) song structure. The Nicki Minaj is 4:58, but the 1:12 intro of spoken word over wind (and thunder) is looong. I don't think I'd go that long in the intro, but who knows. The Ozuna tune is about 5:02, with a 50-second intro, and it's a mash-up of, IDK, three different styles, including reggae, Caribbean/Latin, and hip-hop.

From the Taxi Tip, I think that's what they're looking for - something that a rapper/hip hop artist could rap over, but blends elements from another genre into a unique sound.

I definitely think they're looking for a full-length song, either a reggae song with a rap break like Cardi B does in the Ozuna tune, or the opposite - rap that goes in a different direction for a break. The artist may have the lyrics already written and is just looking for something that will work underneath. How long is the question, since song lengths vary from 2:47 to about 5:00 (although if you subtract out those long intro's they're only about a minute apart).

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Best regards,

Michael (Amoriello) Michnya

Like Robbie Robertson sang, "take what you need and leave the rest."

https://soundcloud.com/mamichnya-1
https://www.taxi.com/members/mikeamoriello

SKM
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SKM » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks Michael!

I appreciate your take - I will probably go with a three and half minute frame
SKM_Music
Sara K. Marsalis

Singer/Songwriter; Musician; Music "Passionier" ;) Studying recording engineering and production

www.soundcloud.com/SKM-Music
www.instagram.com/SKM_Music

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:34 pm

SKM wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:52 pm
Thanks Michael!

I appreciate your take - I will probably go with a three and half minute frame
Anywhere from 3:00-4:00 or so. Just make sure the BPM is fast enough, like 125-145. Look up "Nicki Minaj Type Beat" on youtube.