Music Library Communication

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

robmalka08

Music Library Communication

Post by robmalka08 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:01 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and was hoping for some advice from more experienced members. I just signed my first song deal with a library last week after the library owner reached out via email. I replied right away with a brief thank you and reviewed the contract and the artist materials they sent. I signed the contract and submitted the track and related materials later that same night. The thing is I have not heard back from them with any sort of confirmation or further reply and it has been about a week.

Is this typical? I guess I'm kinda paranoid to know like did the library owner receive everything? Did it get lost in some junk mail folder...etc? It is a very well established, successful library. Should I follow up with an email to confirm everything was received? or just let it be...I don't want to reveal my "noob"ness right off the bat lol.

While I'm at it... corollary question: is it worth buying the subscription to high tail? One of the main benefits I see over the free version is that files sent expire after a week with the free account...is it typical for library owners to let signed tracks sit in services like this rather than download right away?

Ok sorry that's like 6 questions lol but I appreciate any advice you all have.

Rob
taxi.com/robmalka
soundcloud.com/robmalka

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Music Library Communication

Post by DesireInspires » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:17 pm

You can get a free Dropbox account and share folders with select people.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:48 pm

You could drop an email to the library person in a few weeks and confirm they have all your materials. But definitely wait a few weeks--- give them time, especially with the holiday season.

If it's the library I think it is, you don't HAVE to use hightail, you can use any file transfer service and yes, you can do this with a free Dropbox account (assuming the library doesn't mind).

Congrats!
:D Casey

robmalka08

Post by robmalka08 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Thank you guys, appreciate the guidance!

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:00 am

Hi Rob,
Yes, that is very typical....
I usually NEVER hear from ANY of the libraries I work with.... until they want more music.

I still use the free Hightail service..... but most libraries now will send you a link to their
service to upload your files.

Tim

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:55 pm

I use free High Tail for some libraries if they want it via High Tail.

I don't worry about expiration because I think High Tail sends me a notice once the library has downloaded the tracks, and usually that is within 24-48 hours, so it's never been an issue for me.

Congrats on your deal!

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Rob,

Congratulations on a signing! Perhaps by now you have been in touch with the library, but I do follow up in a week or so after I have sent something in to a library and haven't heard. back Especially if in your case you describe, you definitely want them to know that you did oblige and send in the necessary files, docs, etc.

I use WeTransfer. It has a free version and lets you know if the other party downloaded your file or not. Takes the guesswork out!

Best of luck to you!
Linda