Rejection that put a smile on my face :)

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Rejection that put a smile on my face :)

Post by MBantle » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:38 am

Dear All,
I submitted the same song for two listings: One was a F (the listing I actually wrote it for) and the second one an R (I kind of saw that coming for the same reasons the screener mentioned in their critique but I thought I just try). Reading the critique for the second one, I really had to smile as the screener wrote "the horns aren't fully coming across as authentic enough" - ...well that was the first time I ever used a live horn section... :lol: These guys are just really so tight and good, they almost sound like a VI... and I would have to deliberately detune them in Melodyne so that they sound more 'authentic'. Funny enough I had left them as 'dry' as possible in the mix as I also felt they sounded almost too polished. Anyway, I just thought I share this funny experience with you. We are all human and I hope one day it will be the other way around, i.e. me using a VI and the screener pointing out the live instrument is out of tune :lol: - If that happens I promise I will share it with you, too.
Cheers,
Matt

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Rejection that put a smile on my face :)

Post by MBantle » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:08 pm

P.S. Still cannot believe it but literally only a few hours after writing this post I received an email from the music supervisor. I guess a lot of you can imagine that this is a beautiful day! Needless to say there is a small party going on in the home studio right now :)

eddiepiano1

Post by eddiepiano1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:25 pm

That's quite a story! And congrats. Happy for you.

eddiepiano1

Post by eddiepiano1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 pm

That's quite a story! And congrats. Happy for you.

Got2compose
Active
Active

Post by Got2compose » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Congrats!

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:03 pm

CTWF wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 am
Hi Matt, I had an experience like that too. For a "medieval instrumental" that I composed, the first time in 25 years I pulled out my French horn, practised a couple of days, and then with great effort played the part several times and cut it all together. Then I mixed it with a VI horn, but such that you mostly hear me. Anyway, one reason for the return were the "emulated horns". My lips were still sore when I read this, so... :mrgreen: :roll:

Just for reference (and, yes, my mix and my recordings might suck, I even played the recorder in this, and then also mixed it with a VI recorder):
This is hilarious! :) As you can imagine, I feel your pain! Cheers, Matt

DRichardson

Post by DRichardson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi,

I had a return for the same reason several months ago. It had real saxophones, trumpets, trombones and bass guitar and the response was along the lines of 'for this type of track authentic instruments would be better'. DOH! :-) And yet I have got midi instruments past screeners quite a few times. The irony was not lost on me. :lol: