Feedback on happy acoustic cue please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MSteinmann

Feedback on happy acoustic cue please

Post by MSteinmann » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 am

Hi folks,

I'd like to submit this cue by Sergio Juarez and me to listing Y181230HA - what do you think? We'd really appreciate your feedback, especially advice on the mix! We had submitted a prior version to an "acoustic-based stomp and clap" listing which seems to be from the same music library - the screener liked it but returned it because the clap and stomp samples didn't sound natural or impactful enough. We tried to improve that in this version:

"Today will be the day" on my Taxi page:

https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?userid=71312

Thanks and best!
Maya

HAPPY, ACOUSTIC-Based INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a High-End Music Library with countless credits in big Feature Films, countless TV Shows, and TV Commercials. They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that would fall within the general wheelhouse of the following references we got from our client:

Song/Instrumental Reference 1

Song/Instrumental Reference 2

Song/Instrumental Reference 3

Please send them well-composed Instrumental Cues that rhythmically and melodically create an emotionally positive mood. Some folks would call that "happy." These cues will be used for a wide range of placements in Film and TV Commercials. Your production should be driven by mainly organic-based instrumentation and should instantly convey a clear, happy, easy-going vibe and mood. Be sure to layer your instrumentation in and out as your Cue progresses, to give it a sense of building and forward momentum.

TAXI Tip: For this request, your typical Happy, Clappy Cues are welcome, but feel free to push the envelope a bit to make your submissions stand out from the rest. Don’t forget to bring the positivity!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please refer to the references in regard to how they are structured. It’s NOT verse – chorus – verse. Instead, it's a theme that evolves as it progresses. Also, there are mostly no prominent leads or melodies; instead, the melody is baked into the chords and the arrangement by a clever combination of patterns.

All submissions should be approximately 2 minutes long. Good edit points (when possible) and Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings are preferred. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with any other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Composition rights. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis – Short critiques only. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST), on Sunday, December 30th, 2018. TAXI #Y181230HA

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback on happy acoustic cue please

Post by cassmcentee » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 am

Nice Tune!
My instincts tell me you have a 50/50 chance on the forward...
My ears wanted the rhythm guitar up a couple Dbs
And the bass up some too
Seems like the bass was late on one of it's first hits as well...
Wish you the best!
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

RustyP
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RustyP » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi!
I like your track too! the guitars especially sound GREAT.

My thought on your claps is that they feel a little separated from the rest of the "band."
If this were my track, I'd make sure that the claps are in the same reverb space as my guitars and piano.
They also sound a little disconnected because the other instruments have a bigger stereo spread. Can you spread the claps a bit, or can you use a clap sample that has a wider stereo field?

Again, personal pref, but if it were mine, I would ad a shaker on the 8th notes. :)

Good stuff! :)

MSteinmann

Post by MSteinmann » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:49 am

Hi Cass, hi Rusty,

thanks very much for your advice and feedback - fantastic to get help from you guys!

We'll check up on the bass being late and try out new volumes for bass and guitar.

I get what you mean about the claps sounding disconnected space-wise, Rusty. Will definitely look into that. And shakers can't hurt ;-).

All the best!