HIT-WORTHY COUNTRY SONGS What genre is this one? Is it "licensable"?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Re: HIT-WORTHY COUNTRY SONGS What genre is this one? Is it "licensable"?

Post by Horacemix » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:40 am

lesmac wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:47 pm
Your track has a nice laid back "country-ish" soft rock indie vibe.
Don't waste your time, money and emotional investment pitching this as modern country.
The vocal phrasing and lyrical subject matter don't align with modern American country.
What they accept as country is really quite narrow and specific these days. You could nearly call it indigenous.
Its a nice track as it is, don't put it where it doesn't belong.
The vocals could come forward more using the usual suspects of volume automation and compression.
My two cents :)
VanderBoegh wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:24 pm
Hey man, take this opinion from someone who's been wanting to land a country cut for a looooong time (and would still consider it to be the pinnacle of my musical career if I ever got it). In order to be competitive in the modern hit country market, you really have to live and breathe this stuff. There's such a signature sound to modern Nashville recordings - from the instrumentation, to the vocals, to the lyric phrasing, to the song structure, song sections, length of intro / chorus / post-chorus, vocal registers, note choices etc - that if you don't know all these facets, you're really gonna be facing an uphill battle.

I know this all too well. When I first joined Taxi, I recorded 12 country songs based on what I thought country was. I was a hard rock guy, posing as a country guy, without listening to what the market was doing. As a result, all 12 songs went nowhere....

This song of yours reminds me of myself. A good attempt, but not at all in line with modern hit country.

Best of luck to you. Write more!

~~Matt
Hello Lester and Matt!
Thanks to you both for your opinions.
I must admit that I'm not trying to become a modern country artist at all.
Just testing myself as a songwriter but I feel is not my nich at all in music industry.

Regards and Happy Holidays!
Observation is the raw material for creation...
https://soundcloud.com/horacemix

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:10 am

One last thing from me, Horacemix,

Don't think for 1 minute ..... that just because I can point out the weakness in your track,
that I could do better... and go out and write a country hit!
That just ain't gonna happen!!!!!

Tim

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:41 am

Don't think for 1 minute ..... that just because I can point out the weakness in your track,
I feel ya there, Tim! And Horacemix, don't give up! Just find out where your strengths as a songwriter really lie. It's most likely within the wheelhouse of the music you grew up on (as a starting point), but always be willing to evolve and stretch to new styles and go where your growth takes you!

~~Matt

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:57 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:41 am
I feel ya there, Tim! And Horacemix, don't give up! Just find out where your strengths as a songwriter really lie. It's most likely within the wheelhouse of the music you grew up on (as a starting point), but always be willing to evolve and stretch to new styles and go where your growth takes you!

~~Matt
Hi Tim! It's OK.
And Matt, I won't give up! But maybe I'll consider to pitch my songs when listing are about EDGY Country Rock or EDGY Rock Folk, or EDGY any genre that I think I can do but not as an expert or natural native interpreter. Just for the record, I grew up listening Beatles and Queen as main band's playlists in my walkman when I was a child in the early 80's.

Regards!
Observation is the raw material for creation...
https://soundcloud.com/horacemix