Newbie- What genre am I?

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

annalynchmusic

Newbie- What genre am I?

Post by annalynchmusic » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello! I am pretty new to TAXI and am wanting to submit to a lot of listings but am a little hesitant because I realized I am not quite sure what genre I write best in?
When I gig I play country/americana however that doesn't mean some of the songs I write couldn't be jazzed up a bit to fit a different genre entirely, and I am more than ok with that.

Is there a good general rule for what kind of content works best within certain genres? Would I be silly to submit one of my bummed out girl music tunes to a pop listing?

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Newbie- What genre am I?

Post by jaywilliams » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:49 pm

annalynchmusic wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:21 pm
Would I be silly to submit one of my bummed out girl music tunes to a pop listing?
Hi Anna welcome to Taxi!

I'll focus on your last question, as that may help you with your other questions and concerns.

Short answer: yes, that would be silly.

Longer answer: listen to the reference tracks provided in the listing, if the track you want to submit sounds like the reference tracks then go for it!

Its great to have a back catalog, but you'll probably have greater success by writing songs specifically for Taxi listings.

Do that a few times, read the listings closely, and listen to the reference tracks a bunch.

That will help you understand what the screeners are listening for, and then you'll be better able to evaluate which tracks from your back catalog will likely suit any given listing.

Hope that makes sense, if not keep asking until it does!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

annalynchmusic

Post by annalynchmusic » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Thank you Jay!
That does make sense 👍🏻

AnneHouse
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnneHouse » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi Anna,

Jay hit it on the nose with his advice. Just wanted to say I checked out your songs; nice Americana vibe there. I enjoyed your music!
Nice to meet you and welcome to taxi!
-Anne

teraannsitzmann
Active
Active

Post by teraannsitzmann » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi Anna,

I just wanted to say I enjoy your music very much. I loved the lyrics and arrangement of Bitter Bones.

Tera

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:29 am

One of the most common return reasons is " Stylisically Off Target " so I wouldn't try to fit a square peg in a round hole on a Listing, it just won't fly no matter how great a song you send them.

Usually the best advice is study the refrence tracks ( i.e. note it all down ) and then write for the Listing

Mark

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Hi Anna, Welcome to Taxi and thanks for putting your music out there. I've listened to most of your songs on SC- "Fix it" and "Die in a Small Town" and "Wandering Kind" etc. You have such a wonderful talent! I love your melodies and the lyrics are very fresh. I think you'll do very well with TAXI!

You mentioned-
"When I gig I play country/americana however that doesn't mean some of the songs I write couldn't be jazzed up a bit to fit a different genre entirely, and I am more than ok with that."

The one that struck me most that could rise above with other instrumentation was "Wandering Kind". I'd love to hear that one with a real acoustic drum groove. Something simple but just drive it a bit more, and being a bass player a tasty acoustic bass would be cool ;)

As far as genre Americana for sure - very authentic and heartfelt! But also indie folk if you had a kick going- "Beer in Jars" comes to mind.

Bottom line your stuff has such wonderful emotion and that's such a huge part of the equation. Best of luck and we look forward to hearing your success stories!
John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

NoellR
Active
Active

Post by NoellR » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:22 am

Hi Anna, I don't know what genre of music you are, but your voice is very pretty, and I enjoy the lyrics to your songs! :)
To me, writing compelling and touching lyrics is one of the hardest parts of making a song, and it seems you've got that part down well. I liked not wanting to die in a small town, it spoke to me. Great work!

SquareBiz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SquareBiz » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:01 am

I hear Singer Songwriter for sure...very good music!

SquareBiz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SquareBiz » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 am

I hear Singer Songwriter for sure...very good music!