major productivity hack for fellow youtube addicts

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

major productivity hack for fellow youtube addicts

Post by markhimley » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:59 pm

Hey y'all. So I came across this recently and figured it was worth sharing with you all!

I deleted my social media accounts a few months ago and it has made a huge difference regarding productivity among other things - but one area I still struggle with is YouTube. I go to watch ONE video and end up wasting tons of time going down the YouTube rabbit hole. Those algorithms sure know how to suck me in and what videos I tend to watch; before I know it I've got a ton of open tabs.

Anyways I recently read "Atomic Habits" by James Clear - can't recommend it enough. Subsequently I listened to a podcast he was on and he mentioned this Chrome extension he uses, "Distraction Free Youtube", and how monumental it was/is for his productivity and avoiding wasting countless hours on YouTube and all that. Basically it eliminates the recommended videos on the side as the starting configuration. But you can take it even further (which I did) so that it removes the entire home screen and ALL recommended videos. So now when I go to YouTube, all I see is a blank white page with the channels I'm subscribed to on the left. If I go to one of those channels and watch a video, there are no recommended videos anywhere, just their videos. Kinda cool. I'll still get notified when those channels upload a new video, but I won't be bombarded with all the other videos that I more than likely would click on and watch also.

Here it is: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ated?hl=en

Hope you all are having a great 2019 so far!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: major productivity hack for fellow youtube addicts

Post by Len911 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:49 pm

:lol: :lol: I am so accustomed to searching what I want to see and have never found the recommendations at all useful. The one thing I do fairly consistently is watch the late night comedians' monologues, and it would be nice if the latest would be listed, but they never do,only reruns.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music