Handclaps & Finger Snaps - What do you use?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Handclaps & Finger Snaps - What do you use?

Post by MBantle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:36 am

Dear All,
I have been looking for 'expensive sounding' handclap and finger snap sounds and have not yet found something that sounds great out of the box... :) Is there a go-to VI you can recommend? Or do you simply try different things (VIs, samples) and then layer and tweak them until it sounds like the 'real deal'?
Please let me know your thoughts.
Cheers,
Matt

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Handclaps & Finger Snaps - What do you use?

Post by eeoo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:02 am

Why not record them yourself?

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:26 am

eeoo wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:02 am
Why not record them yourself?
Thanks. I tried that but was not really happy with the sound. I guess it is the same as with a lot of other instruments (e.g. synths) we hear in TOP 40 music. I always make the joke that there must be a secret preset data base only a very exclusive circle of members have access to...Just kidding of course. But honestly if recording and processing 'live' handclaps and finger snaps on an individual basis is indeed what the Pharells of this world do then I will look no further for VIs and samples...

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm

Yeah I just thought maybe then you can make it sound the way you want it to sound rather than being shackled by whatever a particular sample sound like. Kinda genre dependent too I suppose.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:58 pm

eeoo wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm
Yeah I just thought maybe then you can make it sound the way you want it to sound rather than being shackled by whatever a particular sample sound like. Kinda genre dependent too I suppose.
Sure, but some of these sounds (like hand claps and finger snaps) to me seem staple sounds at the moment and I find it hard to believe there is no go-to VI or sample library... but maybe this will remain a well kept secret :) Let's see :D

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm

I highly doubt the Pharells of the world, as you say, record them individually each time. I can almost guarantee you they all use samples. Not sure about VI's.

Great place to start would be www.Splice.com

I know for a fact MANY producers, even professionals, use Splice. It's based on a membership model starting as cheap as 5 or 7 bucks per month, cancel at anytime. All samples are totally royalty free and ok to use for what we do.

Other options would be to buy third party sample packs. Many of these would also contain presets for synths that would give you the professional sound you also mentioned. It's totally genre dependent, but some of the best I would recommend are Echo Sound Works and Cymatics. I use them both, especially the former, like crazy. I've learned a ton from reverse engineering their presets too - which has allowed me to create tons of my own sounds. But as you might know - production music is a numbers game and speed is very important. These packs allow you to have very professional sounds right out of the box.

Here's a video of a fantastic producer and one of my favorites, Oak Felder, showing how he used samples from Splice on "Sorry Not Sorry" by Demi Lovato. One of which is the snap he used :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD1tIcDlunE

Also there's tons of samples on Splice you might recognize from major pop songs, for example the acoustic guitar loop from Marshmello's "FRIENDS".

https://splice.com/sounds/prime-loops/m ... itar-hooks look at "Bpm95_Am_AcousticGroovy_2.wav"

HTH

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 pm

markhimley wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm
I highly doubt the Pharells of the world, as you say, record them individually each time. I can almost guarantee you they all use samples. Not sure about VI's.

Great place to start would be www.Splice.com

I know for a fact MANY producers, even professionals, use Splice. It's based on a membership model starting as cheap as 5 or 7 bucks per month, cancel at anytime. All samples are totally royalty free and ok to use for what we do.

Other options would be to buy third party sample packs. Many of these would also contain presets for synths that would give you the professional sound you also mentioned. It's totally genre dependent, but some of the best I would recommend are Echo Sound Works and Cymatics. I use them both, especially the former, like crazy. I've learned a ton from reverse engineering their presets too - which has allowed me to create tons of my own sounds. But as you might know - production music is a numbers game and speed is very important. These packs allow you to have very professional sounds right out of the box.

Here's a video of a fantastic producer and one of my favorites, Oak Felder, showing how he used samples from Splice on "Sorry Not Sorry" by Demi Lovato. One of which is the snap he used :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD1tIcDlunE

Also there's tons of samples on Splice you might recognize from major pop songs, for example the acoustic guitar loop from Marshmello's "FRIENDS".

https://splice.com/sounds/prime-loops/m ... itar-hooks look at "Bpm95_Am_AcousticGroovy_2.wav"

HTH
Hi Mark,
Thanks! I use Loopmasters (which by the way is great as it integrates into your DAW as an 'instrument' and lets you audition each sample in the tempo and key of your song before you buy it) but you know how it is...you spend quite some time finding the right clap or finger snap, so I find that approach a bit inefficient but then again that is what I have been doing so far...hence my question for a more efficient workflow as regards claps and finger snaps.
Cheers,
Matt

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi Matt,

I usually use Battery, True Strike and Drumlab for snaps and claps.
The last 2 use the Kontakt player.

I have used these on hundreds of tracks that have been on TV.... so I guess they sound good!

My 3 cents worth,
Tim

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:50 pm

ttully wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:45 pm
Hi Matt,

I usually use Battery, True Strike and Drumlab for snaps and claps.
The last 2 use the Kontakt player.

I have used these on hundreds of tracks that have been on TV.... so I guess they sound good!

My 3 cents worth,
Tim
Thanks Tim! I got Battery and Drumlab (so good to know!) but will look into True Strike. Is True Strike versatile or rather leaning towards the cinematic style?
Cheers,
Matt

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:53 pm

Hey Matt,

True Strike is pretty old...... I think you can still get i.

To be honest..... I forget what it is geared to !!!!

If you want to hear some snaps from True Strike .... I have a track on my page called Tom Tom Shuffle.
I believe that is going to be used in an upcoming commercial.... I like the snap sound in it.... that is my favorite part!!!

Tim