We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RustyP
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

As humbly as I can

Post by RustyP » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 pm

Hey folks,

I'm a relatively new Taxi member. New as of last Oct. I've been in the forums since last April or May maybe. I've been watching Taxi TV since at least then.
All this to say that I'm new at this. I've been listening to people talk about how challenging it is to get forwarded, so I expected as much.

I don't say this to brag, but, since I started with Taxi I've submitted 20 times. 15 have been forwarded.
I only say that to ask, am I gonna get any response on these forwards? :)
I know, I know, some have taken as long as 7 years! I just want to hear from those who have gotten responses from your forwards, and placements from those responses.
What is it like, a phone call, an email? How long did it take for you to get your first response from a forward?

I am honestly as shocked as any one else that I've gotten so many forwards and I'm just hoping for the next step to happen, and I'd really like some pointers, maybe toward a way to help the next step happen more quickly! :)

thanks so much for reading this, and please take it in the spirit of humility and genuine attempt to learn in which it was meant. :)

Rusty

mikemichnya
Impressive
Impressive

Re: As humbly as I can

Post by mikemichnya » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:54 pm

Hey Rusty,

I've been a Taxi member for an embarrassingly long time. Over the last 10 years, of the 66 songs I submitted, two have been forwarded, and I never heard back on either of them. (If I'm being honest about it, my lack of success is largely because I'm a slow learner. I have not taken a terribly disciplined approach to improving my areas of weakness, which are painfully obvious when I listen to my tracks objectively.)

You're getting forwarded at a 75% rate. That's fantastic. And having listened to a few of your tracks, I can see why. Strong songs, nice voice, solid performances, broadcast quality recordings.

Doubtless in the short time that you've been involved, you've heard the advise, 'Write, submit, forget, repeat.' (Although I think it should be 'write, submit, learn, repeat better'. Not as catchy, but more accurate, IMO.) Believe in your talent, and keep pitching. And if you're ever looking for a co-writer, feel free to drop me a line.
Best regards,

Michael (Amoriello) Michnya

Like Robbie Robertson sang, "take what you need and leave the rest."

https://soundcloud.com/mamichnya-1
https://www.taxi.com/members/mikeamoriello

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:56 am

Hey Rusty,

I have been a Taxi member for about 14 years.

That is a VERY VERY good start!!!! Congratulations!

It is impossible to say if or when you will be contacted after a forward.
It could be today....it could be in 5 years, it could be never.
Just keep doing what you are doing....things will happen.

Good luck,
Tim

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Hey Rusty,

I am still working hard to make this my full time income and it definitely takes time and patience but here’s my story so far from the start until now..

First off.. I don’t know exactly when I started watching TAXI TV but it has been one of the biggest components in getting me to where I am now, more than any other resource I can think of thus far… including, Youtube videos, other forums, etc… etc…

I joined TAXI back in 2013.

BTW, I do mostly Hard Rock Instrumental Cues. I delve into other genres but this genre is my bread and butter ( another thing I’ve learned from the TAXI screeners’ great critiques!).

Here my story so far and I'm working hard for more..

• Year 1… two forwards, no deals but great advice from screeners.
  • Year 2.. twelve forwards, no deals but great advice again.
  • Year 3.. eight forwards, no deals but I can’t stress how important listening to those critiques is!
  • Year 4.. seventeen forwards and a deal with a Music Library that came in September of that year (2016), BTW which happened one month after the forward.

The Library loved my music and production so much, the CEO called me to tell me as much! I’ve since signed a total of 58 tracks with them (291, if you count alt versions).
  • Year 5.. fifteen forwards no deals but by this time.. I had submitted many tracks to custom critiques and was watching TAXI TV religiously. Need I say.. more? All worth the price of admission, Rusty!!
  • Year 6.. twenty five forwards and another deal. The forward was for an 8-bit instrumental cue and that Library ended up signing a total of 6 tracks from me (again, if you count alt versions).
  • Year 7.. we’re barely into 2019 and I have 2 forwards so far.

Like you’ve heard before.. it takes time, patience and hard work. The work part being most important. Patience running a close second.

If you are continually able to crank out high quality, licensable tracks, it will happen for you. If your not willing to do the work and above all, learn something from your TAXI membership, then no one can help you get to where you want to be. Sorry but that’s just the facts.

My advice..
Keep working hard to get those forwards and never give up. You will reach your goals but ultimately you are in charge of whether you put your head down and strive forward or become negative and give up like so many have done before.

Bottom line..
Trust the process.. it has worked for so many and do your own research to find the ones it has worked for! That always keeps me motivated and moving ahead!

Good luck Rusty, we’re in this together and congrats on the forwards!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

RustyP
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RustyP » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Hey all,
Thanks for your encouragement.
Thanks Dan for telling your story.

I'm not any where near packing it in. :) I know there are many avenues and I love making music.
I really like hearing the specific stories and knowing that forwards can ACTUALLY turn in to signings.
It is just a little frustrating that I can't do anything to improve my chances of being signed after I've been forwarded. :)

I'll keep working! :)
Thanks again!
Rusty