My Very First Placement!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

janetsnare
Active
Active

Re: My Very First Placement!

Post by janetsnare » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:47 pm

RichardInUK wrote:Getting your first placement must be an awesome feeling!! Congrats Janet .... hopefully your royalties will follow soon!
Thank you :D

janetsnare
Active
Active

Post by janetsnare » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:59 pm

AmandaJane wrote:Congrats on your very first placement ! So exciting isn't it :)

I live in Ireland and am therefore with the Irish PRO called IMRO. Almost all my music gets licensed from the USA. So imagine this, Finnish tv show uses a song of mine which is with a US publisher. The cue sheet goes from Finland to the US PRO I had nominated/and I assume the publisher. My royalties then eventually get sent from the US PRO to the Irish PRO. They process it (not sure how fast lol) and eventually, usually about 2 years later, I get paid.

I have never yet been paid royalties in the same year a show aired, apart from an Irish language soap opera that used a couple songs, which took 9 months to get to me :roll: The norm for foreign royalties to reach me is about 2 years.

And I think that 9 months limit from your PRO sounds like piffle. My PRO has tracked down missing payments from a show aired in the US 3 years later.

Onwards and upwards as they say :)
Amanda
RichardInUK wrote:Getting your first placement must be an awesome feeling!! Congrats Janet .... hopefully your royalties will follow soon!
Quite a circuitous journey on your international placements and royalties! It sounds like the process works well in your case. Regarding not going back further than 9 months to look for royalties, unfortunately that policy is spelled out onthe PRO website. But, as you say, onward and upward! :)

janetsnare
Active
Active

Post by janetsnare » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:02 pm

jdstamper wrote:
janetsnare wrote: Hi Jim, so before I left on vacation I followed up again with my PRO, who told me they never received a cue sheet. I tracked down and contacted the company owner (ghosthunterpat@gmail.com) and asked her to send the cue sheet to my PRO (I tried sending it directly to my PRO, but they said it had to come from the production company). My PRO person said she'd "reach out" to foreign distributors about past royalties for the last 9 months, which is apparently the limit they will look for. But, as you say, we should get Amazon royalties that started in May 2018. I plan to follow up re: the foreign royalty situation soon.

Janet
Hey Janet, that's great how you've tracked it down. If the PRO never received a cue sheet, then I'm not sure how royalties would find us from Amazon, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that connections will be made eventually :) I don't quite understand the "9 months" look back limit, when we're often told it can take 2 years for foreign royalties to appear in the first place. By the time we know it's missing, it's too late to follow-up :roll:

Oh well, my next statement will be in a couple weeks, you never know what might be there

Jim
Exactly. I also don't understand the 9 month retroactive limit if it takes up to 2 years for foreign royalties to appear!

Janet

rockinrob
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockinrob » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:33 am

Congratulations on the placement. Very cool. And good information from replys. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:55 am

I have some good news to update this thread!

On my BMI statement received today (for Qtr 2 of 2018) I did finally receive royalties for R.I.P. Files from United Kingdom - PRS. In fact, it shows my track was actually in two episodes, while I was only aware of one.

It doesn't give me any detail on the date of the broadcasts, so I don't really know whether its from the original broadcast or some more recent re-runs or streaming usage. However, if it's from the original broadcast of Nov 2015, then it took 3 years and 2 months to get here. :roll:

Now I have somewhat renewed faith that the system does work, even if very slowly. :D

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

chrismh99

Post by chrismh99 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Congratulations! What a nice surprise for you.

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:46 pm

Congratulations! Must be a great feeling! I haven't had a placement that I know about yet, but hopefully that day will come sooner rather than later!
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jdstamper » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks Chris & Loren,

The actual royalty is nothing to brag about, believe me :D ... it just feels good to know that it wasn't missed.

And I want others to know how long it can take. We've often heard it can take 2 years to collect a foreign royalty, well this one took about 3 years.
janetsnare wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:48 pm
But I wanted to report this first-time success, even though it took forever to verify and looks like even longer before I get paid:) :D !

Janet
I hope that Janet, who started this thread, is getting her royalty too. And Minoru, and anyone else who might have been in this show.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Holmseth
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Holmseth » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:53 am

Congratulations Janet. Hope it is the first of many placements to come, and hope you see money eventually.
All the best.
Asbjorn

pike
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pike » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Congrats Janet! :D

I too had a track sent to the RIP music supervisor who contacted me and requested more music. I had never seen a payout from the show until this quarter. It wasn't much money, but they did pay. I had one track in two episodes. Its probably been about three years. Hopefully there will be more tracks in more episodes. The system works, but for foreign royalties it can take years.

Kevin