Hip Hop Cue

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Hip Hop Cue

Post by johndalenow » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:08 am

Any tips on how to look at the challenge of incorporating a Hip Hop voice into an instrumental request? Thanks in advance for your valued help. Please give a listen to my most recent attempt.

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... am/s-wxvBp

CONTEMPORARY TRAP-Style HIP-HOP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a boutique Music Library with tons of credits in HIT TV Shows!

This company is brand new to running Listings with TAXI. It’s very unlikely that you’ve got any music in their catalog, yet. This is a great opportunity to build a new relationship with this small, but hard-plugging company that gets the job done!

They want Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

“Sin” by Young Thug ft. Jaden Smith

“HOW BOUT THAT?” by Quavo

“Who Want The Smoke?” by Lil Yachty · Cardi B · Offset

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only. Please send them current, modern-sounding Trap-Style Hip-Hop Instrumental Cues that are rhythmically and melodically engaging. Your Instrumental Cues should have heavy, speaker-knocking percussion, catchy melodies, and cool-sounding ear candy throughout to keep it from sounding too linear or repetitive. Build your submissions around a catchy central melodic theme, and keep it compelling by layering elements in and out as your piece progresses to keep it dynamic and forward-moving.

Your submissions should be about 2 minutes in length, give or take. Non-Faded, Button/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced acts or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Also, do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Hip Hop Cue

Post by ttully » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:49 am

Hey JDM,

The do not want any vox in the tracks.

Your track is not hip hop at all.... or trap.

Listen to the examples!!!!!!
Very important.

Tim

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks, Tim.

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:18 pm

I re-worked the same Hip-Hop submission. Please critique again. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/john-dale-music/ ... pm/s-RhiSW

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi JDM,

This track is not Hip Hop or Trap either.

I have done a bunch of Hip Hop and Trap tracks for different shows....It is not as easy as it would seem....
It took me a long time to get anything that sounded even half way decent!

I would suggest listening AS MUCH AS POSSILE to the examples and other Trap and Hip Hop tracks...the sub bass, the drums....
the sound of the mix....everything!
You also need the right sounds.... ground shaking sub bass and 808's.. that is EXTREMELY important.
There are also certain snare and clap sounds that work for Hip Hop..... you need to have these!
Also.... alot of Hip Hop and Trap will have an arpeggiated top line melody.

If you have NI Battery.... they have some pretty decent Hip Hop drum sounds.

If you want to hear 3 tracks that I think are on some TV shows now....go to my Taxi page.
The tracks are called ' Downlow", 'Bulletproof' and 'Bank on It' .... those may help you to find the right kind of sounds... although there are
many many better Hip Hop tracks out there than these..... you can hear what is going on with no vox in the way.

That does not mean give up..... that means you need to study it and keep working at it !!!!!
Tim

johndalenow
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johndalenow » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:21 am

Thanks again, Tim. Will do!