Music submission strategy

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RHicks
Active
Active

Music submission strategy

Post by RHicks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:20 am

Hi TAXI family

I'm reaching out to the more seasoned TAXI users for a little guidance. My questions relates to the strategy of submitting music to multiple sources.

I understand that it's NOT advisable to submit a tune to a TAXI brief if the tune is already registered with a publisher on a non-exclusive basis. I also understand that most media composers won't all exclusively use TAXI as vehicle to generate income from your music, it seems most of you spread the net over the whole industry.

Considering the two points above, how do you approach submissions with TAXI? Do you write songs exclusively for the TAXI market and write tunes exclusively for other agencies/publishers?

I'm new(ish) to TAXI. Whilst I'm yet to sign a contract via TAXI, I'm getting roughly 50% of my submissions forwarded. What I'm looking to avoid is damaging any potential opportunity for any given composition and not piss anyone off on the way.

Super interested to see how you guys approach this.

Thanks in advance

Rob
R Hicks Music
www.rhicksmusic.com
@RHicksMusic

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Music submission strategy

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 am

Hey Rob,

The only two things that should stop you from submitting pre-existing music are: 1) if that pre-existing music is already signed to an exclusive deal; or 2) or if the pre-existing music is already signed non-exclusively, you should only submit it to listings that specify another non-exclusive deal.

I submit non-exclusively signed tracks to non-exclusive Taxi listings all the time. Nothing wrong with that!

Even though I've been doing this for years and have a full plate with direct library requests, I still write a fair amount of new material specifically for Taxi listings. Gotta keep the pipeline flowing!

~~Matt

RHicks
Active
Active

Post by RHicks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:44 am

Matt, Hey

That's super helpful, thank you. I understand your points and will work on that basis going forward.

From an administration point of view, do you ever run into issues where your non-exclusive tune located at a different library has already been pre-registered with your PRO and then the next non-exclusive library attempt to register with the same PRO?

Thanks again

Rob
R Hicks Music
www.rhicksmusic.com
@RHicksMusic

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 am

Non-exclusive libraries do a thing called "re-titling", meaning every library that registers the same track will assign a new title to that piece of music so as to avoid confusion.

For example, a track called "Sneaky Dudes" that is signed non-exclusively to 5 different libraries, might turn out like this:

Library A calls that track "Sneaky Fellas"
Library B calls that track "Devious Dudes"
Library C calls that track "Sneaky Skanks"
Library D calls that track "Snoopy Guys"
etc, etc, etc.....

Non-exclusive libraries will always make sure that they don't already have a piece of music with the same title. And when they re-title, they'll usually reach out to you to make sure you don't already have a piece of music with the new title.

In that way, confusion is alleviated (for the most part).

~~Matt

RHicks
Active
Active

Post by RHicks » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 am

Hey Matt

Amazing. Your experience is invaluable. I really appreciate it

Many thanks

Rob
R Hicks Music
www.rhicksmusic.com