Going to have to STRONGLY disagree with screener #309...

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Re: Going to have to STRONGLY disagree with screener #309...

Post by sermusicusa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm

309 309 309..... Whoever this is man he is critical. I've produced and DJ'd for a lot of artists too and I can honestly say 309 might not be on point as other screeners when it comes to hip hop. Either that or he is overly critical. I know this is an old thread. But nearly every one of my submissions if it goes through 309 comes back xcept 1 or 2. And if anyone else screens them most of them are forwarded. So that says something. Perhaps its an ego thing, perhaps he takes his job extremely seriously and wants perfection. But without known his resume, hey, we just get to deal with it. I'd love to be able to chat with some of these guys to see where their head is at. A lot of times I can see where they are coming from, but 309, barely do I see where he comes from.

SER

TrackSurgeons wrote:You guys are not alone. I've had a gang of returns on Hip-Hop stuff lately too (Almost all by 309).

The funny this is I've actually produced tracks for some of THE SAME artists used in the a la's.

A couple times the screeners have told me the track is too dark sounding for the listing or something like that which I can understand. But I really can't wrap my head around some of these returns.

The best I can figure is that some of the a la's being used aren't doing a good job of conveying what they are actually looking for.

I've definitely gotten some forwards as well so its not all bad. Its just strange that the new stuff I'm making specifically for these listings is being returned and the stuff I'm submitting thats been sitting on my hard drive and feels kind of dated to me is being forwarded for "current" hip-hop listings.

Just my 2cents.

On to the next...

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:30 pm

I too just had 5 hip hop tracks returned by #309....

These same tracks were forwarded before for several listings.
Very frustrating!!!!!

Tim

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 pm

Another listing and another rejection from 309. Funny thing is he forwarded one of these same tracks for a similar listing a couple months ago
I gotta know who this cat is... Or thinks h is. I guess I'll pass on submitted hip hop tracks to taxi. I'm not going to create wack ass beats, seems like we r all on the same boat

309 who r u son?

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 pm

Really nice track! This is the subjective part of listings that can be very frustrating. I think you nailed the genre, the only ding I can think of is that the organ chords that come in after the intro set the mood (for me) in the late 60s from a harmony perspective. The groove is 90s no doubt, maybe the chord changes turned 309's ear in a different direction? Cool track nonetheless, a keeper for someone else to enjoy eventually! :)

Paulie
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:03 pm

sermusicusa wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 pm
Another listing and another rejection from 309. Funny thing is he forwarded one of these same tracks for a similar listing a couple months ago
I gotta know who this cat is... Or thinks h is. I guess I'll pass on submitted hip hop tracks to taxi. I'm not going to create wack ass beats, seems like we r all on the same boat

309 who r u son?
Sermusicusa
I don't know enough about the genre to offer an opinion on the forward/returns. However, my suggestion is if you have such strong concerns, write to Taxi's head screener and mention the listings and tracks submitted. Email: headscreener at taxi dot com.

Best
Casey

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:13 am

Already had a discussion with him months ago.
Didnt seem to do much good really.

He needs to talk to 309 and tell him to chill. Whoever 309 is, he b too picky, wayyy to picky.

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:26 pm

Fantastic now 309 is reviewing EDM....... With some great snarky attitude too. How this person has a job here is beyond me.

Shalee
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Shalee » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 pm

sermusicusa wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:26 pm
Fantastic now 309 is reviewing EDM....... With some great snarky attitude too. How this person has a job here is beyond me.
Yeah I just got a return from 309 with no boxes selected, and all it said was "melodically the style of your song would need to be strengthened with a current pop style to appeal to this listing"... Style wise, The song I submitted literally is IDENTICAL to the 3rd reference track (bar for bar) in which the listing stated "the client loves this style but the language is not appropriate". Dude could have said ANYTHING else (maybe the lyrics weren't suitable, or maybe he meant that the melody needed to be simpler to match pops current trend of 5 note basic melodies, or he didn't like a drum beat) and I would have been like yeah cool onto the next project. Instead, I'm left like Ummm.... What are you even trying to say bro? That the style reference track listed actually wasn't the style you wanted? I don't care about the return it just baffles me that a reviewer can't articulate their rejections in a way that is understandable. Or maybe I'm just dumb and the critique is clear as day. I wasn't going to say anything but then came accross this thread and a whole bunch of people have issues with this particular screened articulating what he means and I was like hmmm.

sermusicusa
Active
Active

Post by sermusicusa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:04 am

Shalee wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:22 pm
sermusicusa wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:26 pm
Yeah I just got a return from 309 with no boxes selected, and all it said was "melodically the style of your song would need to be strengthened with a current pop style to appeal to this listing"... Style wise, The song I submitted literally is IDENTICAL to the 3rd reference track (bar for bar) in which the listing stated "the client loves this style but the language is not appropriate". Dude could have said ANYTHING else (maybe the lyrics weren't suitable, or maybe he meant that the melody needed to be simpler to match pops current trend of 5 note basic melodies, or he didn't like a drum beat) and I would have been like yeah cool onto the next project. Instead, I'm left like Ummm.... What are you even trying to say bro? That the style reference track listed actually wasn't the style you wanted? I don't care about the return it just baffles me that a reviewer can't articulate their rejections in a way that is understandable. Or maybe I'm just dumb and the critique is clear as day. I wasn't going to say anything but then came accross this thread and a whole bunch of people have issues with this particular screened articulating what he means and I was like hmmm.

I think it would be best if 309 was let go as a screener. Unless he is there specifically to just take money away from composers and put it in the pocket of someone at Taxi so they will keep him on. But I would think that the people here at Taxi are more honest than that. Perhaps a petition on the sacking of 309 would be required. His critiques are not helpful and he does not appear to understand music whatsoever. Again, without knowing who this dude is, there is no way for us to even confirm he has the experience necessary to screen these tracks. Or maybe he needs to get laid. If thats the case, I'm sure he can head into Nevada and find what he's looking for on that front. :)