with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Vocaloid - Opinions

Post by MBantle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:54 am

Dear All,
Could one of you perhaps share their experiences with Vocaloid. I would like to use it as an effect but also see if it helps with e.g. drafting female vocals for a vocal guide. In other words, is it worth the money or rather difficult to use and not giving convincing results. It is a bit difficult to tell from the various clips on Youtube and I would appreciate if one of you (actually using it) could share their experiences.
Cheers,
Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Vocaloid - Opinions

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 pm

I've been told it's hard to use and not very convincing..maybe ok for background parts. You're better off finding a singer to collab with

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:21 pm

I've been messing about with vocaloids since - literally - the start of the year. I think they can be really useful in terms of pulling together a rough female vocal melody and you can even add harmonies etc. Obviously there are limitations and it's not an exact replica of a session singer, but that said it still allows a better engagement that trying to topline using keys does - especially in terms of scansion and prosody.

SynthesiserV have one that costs $79 but they've got a free trial version - it's the one I'm using at the moment. There's some pretty neat fetaures and you can adjust timbre, vibrato, breathiness of voice etc too. Might be good call to try out this free version and see what you think - there's a link to it in a post on this very thread (the title is something about Unix free vocaloid I think).

PS I'm pretty new to vocaloids and to this programme too so if you do try it out, like it and figure out some really useful and helpful tips please post them here!

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Thanks Guys! I actually wanted to use it to create a guide vocal to prep the vocalist. I will try the 79 USD alternative first :D

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm

NoizeeBhoy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:21 pm
I've been messing about with vocaloids since - literally - the start of the year. I think they can be really useful in terms of pulling together a rough female vocal melody and you can even add harmonies etc. Obviously there are limitations and it's not an exact replica of a session singer, but that said it still allows a better engagement that trying to topline using keys does - especially in terms of scansion and prosody.

SynthesiserV have one that costs $79 but they've got a free trial version - it's the one I'm using at the moment. There's some pretty neat fetaures and you can adjust timbre, vibrato, breathiness of voice etc too. Might be good call to try out this free version and see what you think - there's a link to it in a post on this very thread (the title is something about Unix free vocaloid I think).

PS I'm pretty new to vocaloids and to this programme too so if you do try it out, like it and figure out some really useful and helpful tips please post them here!
It seems I cannot find the link performing a search in the forum nor on Google. Do you remember what the VI is called?

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:07 pm

This is the original post on this thread that I mentioned - hope it helps:

Original Post:

Hey All! I just stumbled across this as I was looking for some sort of vocal related plugin.

I haven't tested it out or anything yet but it looks really cool and is right up my alley in terms of composition.

It's a (currently) free vocaloid application. It comes with a pretty decent English virtual singer. You can download it here. The way they word it "Technical Preview" makes me wonder if they will charge for it in the future. It seems to be a standalone application so I'm not sure if it's a "plugin".
https://synthesizerv.com/download/

Here is a sample of what it can do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuhR1xFQzaY

This is the kind of thing that fascinates me and I feel can be helpful to a songwriter and even be featured in some genres. I will be doing a deep dive on this over the weekend and see where it goes.

Edit: Legal / Use links https://synthesizerv.com/common/documen ... nse-en.pdf

OCCASIONS WHERE ADDITIONAL LICENSE FOR USE IS NEEDED
3.1. The User shall apply for additional license for use where the profits from the publish, sales or any other commercial use of the Work through Internet by the User is or is expected to be more than 5000 CNY or other currencies of an equivalent value.
3.2. The User shall apply for additional license for use in advance where the User uses the Work in any form or way not as stipulated in this Agreement.
3.3. The User shall apply for license for use through the contact information of the Publisher stipulated on the Official Website.

Cheers,

-Vic

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:32 pm

https://realitone.com/products/realivox ... 2710596103 for Kontakt or kontakt player version.

But really with all the vocal tuning, editing and formant adjustments, in programs like melodyne, auto tune, etc., why not tune your own voice?
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... your-mixes
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Len911 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:32 pm
https://realitone.com/products/realivox ... 2710596103 for Kontakt or kontakt player version.

But really with all the vocal tuning, editing and formant adjustments, in programs like melodyne, auto tune, etc., why not tune your own voice?
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/produc ... your-mixes
Thanks Len. It seems there is no Mac version available :(

dannyrichardson

Post by dannyrichardson » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:00 pm

MBantle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:54 am
Dear All,
Could one of you perhaps share their experiences with Vocaloid. I would like to use it as an effect but also see if it helps with e.g. drafting female vocals for a vocal guide. In other words, is it worth the money or rather difficult to use and not giving convincing results. It is a bit difficult to tell from the various clips on Youtube and I would appreciate if one of you (actually using it) could share their experiences.
Cheers,
Matt
I own Vocaloid 5. It's a pretty cool plugin; good for testing melodies and lyrics.

It's really not very convincing, however.

To get any sort of useable result, I have to drown it out in effects, making the words almost unintelligible.

Another issue? Cubase 10. For some reason when I load the VST into Cubase 10, my who UI goes crazy and I can barely use Cubase anymore. The cursor mouse location no longer responds to where I click and certain UI elements get warped to different locations on my screen. It's very strange.

This leads to me having to work in the standalone editor (very annoying) and then bounce my idea to a .WAV, only to import it into Cubase after.

Hopefully there will be a fix to my problems eventually! I do enjoy using Vocaloid.