Remind me not to submit pre-caffeine again

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Remind me not to submit pre-caffeine again

Post by ComposerLDG » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:38 am

So this morning I woke up just rarin' to go and submitted three songs to a dispatch listing. Then I went to my submission page and saw that I already submitted those three tracks to that listing a week ago.

A cautionary tale: be sufficiently caffeinated before making moves on something as important as your Taxi listings!

Now to get it fixed so the already A&R team aren't burdened with a duplicate listing. I had another one once where I submitted a somber piano piece to a listing wanting an upbeat dance track. It didn't get forwarded.

Your Taxi bloopers?
Loren DiGiorgi
Uniquely piano-inspired Orchestral | Tension | Hybrid | Trailer
lorendigiorgi.com
www.taxi.com/lorendigiorgi
www.soundcloud.com/ldigiorgi
YouTube
Instagram

dotted8
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Remind me not to submit pre-caffeine again

Post by dotted8 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:53 am

Pretty much everything I submit...
"The truth is never out of breath"

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/robarey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:08 am

It happens. Just contact Taxi. They'll cheerfully remove your second submission and give you a credit for that amount. (At least that's been MY experience). Great customer service!

:D Casey

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:17 pm

OK, I'll go...

Early in my Taxi career (membership) I was excited to hear that if you submitted a track by x, you might get it reviewed on Taxi TV that day! I had a track I was working on, but definitely wasn't done. I didn't care. I quickly slapped what I thought was left to do on it and sent it in.

I was anxiously watching Taxi TV, when to my surprise, Michael selected my track to review! Now, this is going to hurt, but you asked for it.

I hadn't changed the default genre in my editing software, so it was listed as 'Blues'. It was far from Blues.
I hadn't raised the overall level so it was radio ready. Michael had to turn up his stereo so loud that he commented that he was nervous if the track kicked in at normal volume, it was going to blow out his speakers, or his ears, or both.
The chat comments that came in while the track was being played were all pretty negative. "Too happy" "Too positive" are all I can recall. (not Bluesy, right?)

Well, I shelved that track from pain and shame for years. It was about a month ago I listened to it again and realized, it wasn't bad. I just needed to finish it--which I did, and now it's in the catalog.

Nothing like humiliating ones self in front of their peers to prove to yourself whether you're really willing to overcome all obstacles! Even if you're the biggest one! I can laugh now! :lol:
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:45 pm

These are great! Good to know I'm not alone. :) Ah well, at least we can all laugh at ourselves!
Loren DiGiorgi
lorendigiorgi.com
YouTube
Instagram

kyliecouper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by kyliecouper » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:48 pm

I completely stuffed up my first ever submission.
I had a dark ambient instrumental which I somehow managed to submit to an upbeat vocal listing!

The screener gave a carefully worded (but very nice) critique!

Unsurprisingly, not forwarded!

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Yeaaaa my first submission.. oh boy. I basically put together a good chunk of the score from a short film I scored and turned it into one long piece and submitted it. It was over 5 minutes long... I had no idea what I was doing. I seriously was shocked that it didn't get forwarded! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The poor screener that sat through that track.. #347 if you ever see this, sorry about that! Lol. I'd like to think I've come a long way since then. It was from a short film that was temped with Trent Reznor, so this was basically a 5 minute, atmospheric tension drone/score type piece. Just found the return feedback in my submission archive, they were extremely gentle considering the situation.

"Hi Mark, I do think you develop a certain amount of tension at the top but as the track progresses I worry that it lacks some development to keep that tension up. I think instituting a stronger change sooner and playing with adding in a melodic element would help ensure that the track stays fresh. I think that in the future maybe keeping the track closer to the 2 or 3 minute mark and packing more changes into a shorter time would help the track have an arc that is going to work better for licensing."

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:08 pm

ComposerLDG wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:38 am
So this morning I woke up just rarin' to go and submitted three songs to a dispatch listing. Then I went to my submission page and saw that I already submitted those three tracks to that listing a week ago.

A cautionary tale: be sufficiently caffeinated before making moves on something as important as your Taxi listings!

Now to get it fixed so the already A&R team aren't burdened with a duplicate listing. I had another one once where I submitted a somber piano piece to a listing wanting an upbeat dance track. It didn't get forwarded.

Your Taxi bloopers?
LOL Loren,

Pre-caffeine is a bad time for me too.

Humorous one to share Loren! I feel for ya man. LOL

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:07 am

kyliecouper wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:48 pm
I completely stuffed up my first ever submission.
I had a dark ambient instrumental which I somehow managed to submit to an upbeat vocal listing!

The screener gave a carefully worded (but very nice) critique!

Unsurprisingly, not forwarded!
Lol I bet! The screeners have a definite gift for tact, I will say that! :)
Loren DiGiorgi
lorendigiorgi.com
YouTube
Instagram

ComposerLDG
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ComposerLDG » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:09 am

markhimley wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:45 pm
Yeaaaa my first submission.. oh boy. I basically put together a good chunk of the score from a short film I scored and turned it into one long piece and submitted it. It was over 5 minutes long... I had no idea what I was doing. I seriously was shocked that it didn't get forwarded! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The poor screener that sat through that track.. #347 if you ever see this, sorry about that! Lol. I'd like to think I've come a long way since then. It was from a short film that was temped with Trent Reznor, so this was basically a 5 minute, atmospheric tension drone/score type piece. Just found the return feedback in my submission archive, they were extremely gentle considering the situation.

"Hi Mark, I do think you develop a certain amount of tension at the top but as the track progresses I worry that it lacks some development to keep that tension up. I think instituting a stronger change sooner and playing with adding in a melodic element would help ensure that the track stays fresh. I think that in the future maybe keeping the track closer to the 2 or 3 minute mark and packing more changes into a shorter time would help the track have an arc that is going to work better for licensing."
Hilarious, Mark! It's amazing when you go back and review your first submissions and compare with now, isn't it? I've gotten more music education at TAXI than I did my entire life previous to it. I'd say the screener let you down pretty easy lol.
Loren DiGiorgi
lorendigiorgi.com
YouTube
Instagram