Utilising YouTube

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RHicks
Active
Active

Utilising YouTube

Post by RHicks » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:21 am

Hi TAXI family

It seems to be a pretty common thing to see links to tunes on YouTube via the TAXI briefs. These are super useful (of course) but it got me thinking about how some artists use YouTube. Once in a while, I see a brief for 'Romantic Piano' (or something similar) and the artist/composer has a static image background on the YouTube screen as you playback the tune. Sometimes those tunes have viewers in the millions. I wondered about the following questions:

1. In most cases I assume these songs are already 'signed' in some way
2. Do any of you guys throw a song up onto YouTube as an an extra revenue opportunity?
3. If the tune isn't 'signed' do you upload a song to YouTube and then take it down if it get's signed later (especially if it's an exclusive deal)?

Just thinking it through, wondered if YouTube forms part of your publishing strategy

Many thanks folks

Rob
R Hicks Music
www.rhicksmusic.com
@RHicksMusic

SquareBiz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Utilising YouTube

Post by SquareBiz » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:26 am

Rob,
I'm a newbie, so hopefully it's not the blind "leading" the blind on this issue...I would absolutely encourage you to put your music on YouTube because you just never know who will see it(the foundational goal is exposure right)? The terms of your deal with anyone will be discussed, and that will include what's permitted and what's not. You can look at metadata to see if a particular song is signed or not; however, I don't believe there is necessarily a correlation between a lot of views on YouTube and whether a song is signed or not. I'm hope this helps and I'll be checking other responses to see if I missed anything.

The best

Square Biz

RHicks
Active
Active

Re: Utilising YouTube

Post by RHicks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:37 am

Interesting, thanks for the response. I'll look into this more.
R Hicks Music
www.rhicksmusic.com
@RHicksMusic