REVISED - Hard Hitting Percussion - UPDATE

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mmucklow
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

REVISED - Hard Hitting Percussion - UPDATE

Post by mmucklow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:42 am

I have reworked this track to be all percussion. Whew! :shock: Hopefully it's now more in line with the listing.

Thank you to all who listened and provided feedback. Invaluable!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
HARD-HITTING, PERCUSSION-DRIVEN INSTRUMENTALS with some Urban Flavor are needed by hard-working Music Library with a long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows! This company has just started asking for music from TAXI’s members. It’s very unlikely that you’ve got any music in their catalog, so this is an awesome opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build a relationship with this company!

They want Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

WARNING: Some of the following references have graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

“Black Skinhead” by Kanye West

“Lemon (Instrumental)” by N.E.R.D & Rihanna

“Give It To Me” by Timbaland ft. Nelly Furtado, Justin Timberlake

“Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani

Although some of the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only.

Please submit impactful, well-produced Instrumentals that are primarily driven by percussive instrumentation such as (but not limited to) Stomps, Kick, Claps, Slaps, Snaps, Taps, and Bangs. Your production should be rhythmically engaging from beginning to end and have a distinct Urban flavor. Feel free to get inventive and creative with the instruments and sounds you use!

Your submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-Faded, Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced acts or songs in any way, shape, or form. Also, do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Thank you for again listening and feedback.

~Michael
Last edited by mmucklow on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michael Mucklow
Composer, Guitarist, Producer, Cue Composer in Training
Michael @ TAXI | Michael's Website | Shadows Of Clouds | Rushingwind & Mucklow | Ant Hill Brothers

NoellR
Active
Active

Re: REVISED - Hard Hitting Percussion

Post by NoellR » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:59 am

Hi Michael, amazingly cool track! I feel like I'm up in the club for this song, my head was bobbing, my toes were tapping and the "in your face" beats of the feel of this song, along with the subtle nice change ups sprinkled throughout, made this a fun listen. :D Great work!

-Noell

mmucklow
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mmucklow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Thank you for your kind and generous feedback Noell!
Michael Mucklow
Michael @ TAXI | Michael's Website | Shadows Of Clouds | Rushingwind & Mucklow | Ant Hill Brothers

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:43 pm

Hi Michael,

I like this one better without all the melody stuff.
BUT, I don't know exactly what they want.....

I know that all the tracks I am submitting only have drums.... except one of them has a very short power chord hit once in a while.

Good luck,
Tim

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Yes.... I agree with Tom. (CTWF)
I always end a track on the 1 and with a big hit.... in this case... probably a HEY.

Tim

mmucklow
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mmucklow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:19 pm

Good feedback Tim and Tom. Took the advice and modified the ending so it ends on beat one with "Hey". Yep, better! It can be heard in the player above.

Thanks again!

~Michael
Michael Mucklow

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:03 pm

great track Michael I especially like the break around the 1:12 mark cool stuff!

sounds muchly like the reference track and the description, best of luck for FWDs and more :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

mmucklow
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by mmucklow » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:37 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:51 pm
Yes, I think the end is better. If it was my track, I would possibly experiment with a tiny bit of (more) reverb on the very last hey, and try to not cut it short, i.e. let it fully ring out (something Michael Laskow always complains about that members accidentially cut short the reverb). But I am really no expert, and maybe a screener would like it better this way. Again, would be interesting to know what others think. In any case, nice work! Tom
Thanks Tom!

I've decided to not add more reverb to the last "hey" - going to find out if it passes muster with the screener.

I think I'm also going to submit my first attempt for this listing, just to see what happens. It's the one with electric piano and string stabs. I did remove that awkward guitar break and put something else there.

~Michael
Michael Mucklow

mmucklow
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: REVISED - Hard Hitting Percussion - UPDATE

Post by mmucklow » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:41 am

Ah, shucks! Didn't make the cut...maybe next time. :cry:

From the reviewer:
Nice jammy feel. You might get closer to the request for a creative hard hitting percussive instrumental by thinking about making more of a statement with your drums and groove, you might try magnifying the sounds with different plug-ins.
Michael Mucklow

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: REVISED - Hard Hitting Percussion - UPDATE

Post by DannyWeber » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:01 pm

I would have forwarded it! Had my head bobbing!
Good work Michael!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers