with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Your Opinions on Mixing Techniques - Compression

Post by Razor7Music » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Hi Group--

I've got a project that has multiple tracks of backing vocals. One part has two tracks of the melody (in unison), and one part has two tracks of the harmony (in unison) - all singing the same lyric. (4 tracks total).

All four tracks can use some compression to level out their dynamics. Would you, use 4 instances of a compressor with one compressor per track, or would you assign multiple tracks to the same compressor? Maybe the two tracks singing the same part to one compressor, and the other two to a 2nd compressor?

Say that computer resources are not an issue.

I'm at the mixing stage of the production.

Looking forward to your opinions!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Your Opinions on Mixing Techniques - Compression

Post by Len911 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:37 pm

I would send them all to a buss with compressor. That way you could still tweak the send volume for each track individually, while keeping them within the same dynamic range. For the same reason you use a stereo compressor or two linked mono
compressors on a stereo signal.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:37 am

I'll usually do both, tame the peaks a bit with an insert and then send them all to a buss compressor to glue them together a bit.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks, Len and Eeoo! I appreciate it!
Thanks,

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:45 am

Razor7Music wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:52 pm
Hi Group--

I've got a project that has multiple tracks of backing vocals. One part has two tracks of the melody (in unison), and one part has two tracks of the harmony (in unison) - all singing the same lyric. (4 tracks total).

All four tracks can use some compression to level out their dynamics. Would you, use 4 instances of a compressor with one compressor per track, or would you assign multiple tracks to the same compressor? Maybe the two tracks singing the same part to one compressor, and the other two to a 2nd compressor?

Say that computer resources are not an issue.

I'm at the mixing stage of the production.

Looking forward to your opinions!
I really like your post! Compression is the single thing in mixing that really surprises me every day...the possibilities to shape a sound are endless (think of de-essing, multiband compression, side chain compression, dynamic EQ...you name it). One of the techniques I discovered far too late is to pay 'meaningful' attention to the millisecond values. Depending on the style using exact values that correspond to 'calculated' values (think of calculating decay time at a given tempo) really makes sense and cleans up a track. And, I agree: Using multiple compressors in a row for different purposes can also help achieving that very natural yet tight sounding result.

Noego
Active
Active

Post by Noego » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 pm

Yes I always work with individual tracks first to make sure the harms dont have big dynamics on their own and there attacks and releases are similar and then I send it to an outboard compressor but you can route them all to a buss and assign a stereo plug in to glue them up. Being careful not to have too fast attack as you will lose transients.
I also put another buss to a doubler or pitch shift sometimes if you need to make them etheral not just organic. Careful a little goes a long way.

Hope that helped.

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:35 pm

All great helps. Thanks!
Thanks,

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 am

If resources aren't an issue, I would use a couple of compressors each hitting a little on each vocal track. If more than that is needed, then it would be better to go into the waveform of the track and edit the gains. (Rule of Thumb Law: compress often, but only a little.)

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:24 pm

I would automate the input gain on the vocal tracks to get them more even, first. That way the compressors dont have to do so much work, so it sounds natural (assuming thats appropriate for the genre).
Ceo of my own life

tonedimension
Active
Active

Post by tonedimension » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:52 pm

I tend to address any larger level issues within a region using clip gain adjustments before heading to compression and I feel like that can be an important first step. regarding the comps, I like something that has a wet/dry blend so that I can do parallel compression right there on the channel. Or, just send each to a buss and compress the snot out of it (one or a couple compressors in line) and control the blend to taste. You get a bit of dynamics from the uncompressed track and the "in your face" feel from the compressed buss.

Many different ways to do it and thats just a couple of my thoughts. Hope this helps a little.
Bryan...

"Record like there is no mixing and mix like there is no mastering."

https://www.bryannicholas.com
https://soundcloud.com/tonedimension