Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

dannyrichardson

Re: Picking a new Audio Interface!

Post by dannyrichardson » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:44 pm

MBantle wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:58 am
andygabrys wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:49 am
Duet 2 is solid and cheap in the grand scheme right now (I have had one for years).....

but in todays game I would be looking at the Universal Audio stuff - the Twin with the Quad processing.

I am also a UAD user to begin with though so its kind of solving a problem that is created by UAD in the first place. Their plugins are so hungry for DSP that you need to run your DAW with a large process buffer (like 1024) and then you have issues with latency while recording - which is solved on the Twin with the zero latency monitoring.

If you don't get into UAD plugins and stay with Slate or Waves or Soundtoys etc. then you don't necessarily need the UAD Twin or similar - although their unison preamps are sweet and the plugins have serious vibe.
I had a UAD and really liked it! The only disadvantage for me was that you could not take any session with UAD plugins on the road (and I don't think their bus powered Arrow interface will solve that as it does not have enough 'cores'...). But if you do all the work in one place and have a healthy degree of resistance not to spend all your pocket money on UAD plugins...(been there...) :D I would also highly recommend the UAD interfaces!
YES! This is a major problem. I deal with this on a frequent basis whenever I decide to switch to another audio interface. If I decide to load a session with UAD plugins, it's kind of a nightmare to return to that mix.

That could be said about any plugin pack, though.

I currently have an Apollo Twin and a Quad that I use as well as a MOTU 828mk3. I absolutely love the zero latency tracking using the UA Console. It's far better than anything else I've tried using.
Last edited by dannyrichardson on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Picking a new Audio Interface!

Post by waveheavy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:34 am

DanWessels wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm looking at RME Babyface Pro, Duet 2, and Universal Audio Twin MKII. MOTU and Focusrite are on my radar, but haven't wowed me. Any suggestions? Are there other things that you like in an interface I should be looking for?

Thanks!
I highly recommend the Apollo Twin. Advantage of the RME is it's rock-solid, best drivers around. But RME is bottom of pro market. Apogee and Apollo are in the top shelf category. The advantage of the Apollo is their included plugins for recording & mixing.