Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Sampled Vocals on Instrumentals?

Post by JeanieLarkin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:29 am

Hi All,

This has probably been asked at some point but with certain genres, such as EDM or Hip Hop, is it ok to use heavily sampled vocals working as a type of hook here and there, as would be done in current song productions? Used like an instrument, without words (where you can barely tell it's a voice!). Or is it a complete no-no?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeanie

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Sampled Vocals on Instrumentals?

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:58 am

From what I understand, you can use certain vocal samples if the request says it’s ok. (I believe there is one up now that gives the ok on this)

Big caveat though.. you never want to use a sample that you don’t have the rights to. For example, ripping a song from YouTube and using a little clip of the vocals would be a no no.

Recording yourself on the other hand and chopping it up/turning it into a sampled instrument would be totally fine if the request says it’s ok to use samples!

Andrew

JeanieLarkin
Active
Active

Re: Sampled Vocals on Instrumentals?

Post by JeanieLarkin » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 pm

ResonantTone wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:58 am
From what I understand, you can use certain vocal samples if the request says it’s ok. (I believe there is one up now that gives the ok on this)

Big caveat though.. you never want to use a sample that you don’t have the rights to. For example, ripping a song from YouTube and using a little clip of the vocals would be a no no.

Recording yourself on the other hand and chopping it up/turning it into a sampled instrument would be totally fine if the request says it’s ok to use samples!

Andrew

Was thinking along those lines. Thanks Andrew!