Screener #132 : What is Broadcast Quality for you ?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Screener #132 : What is Broadcast Quality for you ?

Post by MathieuF » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 pm

Just got my 2 tracks returned for the Christmas listing but although I respect and understand and agree with the fact that it wasn't Christmas-y enough, I am very much confused by the comment that it wasn't "Broadcast Quality".

Here's one of the track I submited : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5l53G8TR6A

It's a piano solo composition that I wrote as a Christmas song, but I agree it's not overly Christmas sounding...so I get it that it was returned. The issue is that I think it sounds great and it was produced by Antoine Dufour, world class artist and producer. This song is part of an album that got me my first record deal and the album did well. I've NEVER had any negative comments about the sound of that piano and I have submited many songs from that album to Taxi. I've never had any negative comments about the sound from Taxi and even got a few of these songs forwarded.

So...what is Broadcast Quality for you now ??

PLEASE Tell me I'm wrong if you truly believe it though, I would like to always make better sounding music, but I really thought I did already. Thanks...
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Screener #132 : What is Broadcast Quality for you ?

Post by lesmac » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:02 pm

Must've been a typo??

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MathieuF » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:11 pm

lesmac wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:02 pm
Must've been a typo??
Don't think so, that was the full review :

A nice sounding Piano composition. The music did not convey the sprit of the Christmas Holiday Season which was a must have for Christmas related placements. recorded sound & Production also fell short of the Broadcast Quality standard hoped for.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:05 pm

I think it is beautiful! I listened 3 times. The first time I thought there were strings at a very low volume. But after listening a couple more times, I'm thinking it must be a real piano with real resonances?? maybe it's the sustain pedal.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MathieuF » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Len911 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:05 pm
I think it is beautiful! I listened 3 times. The first time I thought there were strings at a very low volume. But after listening a couple more times, I'm thinking it must be a real piano with real resonances?? maybe it's the sustain pedal.
Thank you ! It's actually a virtual piano. Not 100% sure which one though...might be Ivory ? I recorded the song (and whole album) on my Nord Stage 2 but I wasn't satisfied with the piano at the time (now the new piano samples on Nord are GREAT). So I sent the MIDI tracks to my friend and producer Antoine Dufour (check him out, amazing fingerstyle guitarist)...he ended up doing the whole album, virtual piano, mix, mastering.

I'm glad I can "fool" people to think it was a real piano and usually I get very good comments about the sound, especially from Taxi screeners...so this one...I guess he was just listening for something else

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:29 pm

maybe my ears are playing tricks on me,lol, but especially noticeable @ 1:07, it almost sounds like a cello is starting to come in. I'm curious if anyone else hears that? if it's midi, I wonder if it's a midi controller for an effect, like chorus being
increased on the beginning of a phrase where it seems most noticeable, and makes me think the strings are coming in??
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 am

Mathieu
We all sometimes get a screener comment we don't agree with. Given that the broadcast quality "issue" wasn't the main reason for return, I'd just let this one go and re-submit to some more appropriate solo piano listings. If you get a similar comment from other screeners for those listings, then your track might need tweaking. It's best to look for patterns based on comments from multiple screeners and/or other reputable listeners (e.g. publishers) before reacting too much.

It sounded really nice to me! :D But I was on cheap laptop speakers and couldn't really comment on the sound. It's also not my best area of expertise.

Good luck!
:D Casey

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MathieuF » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:43 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 am
Mathieu
We all sometimes get a screener comment we don't agree with. Given that the broadcast quality "issue" wasn't the main reason for return, I'd just let this one go and re-submit to some more appropriate solo piano listings. If you get a similar comment from other screeners for those listings, then your track might need tweaking. It's best to look for patterns based on comments from multiple screeners and/or other reputable listeners (e.g. publishers) before reacting too much.

It sounded really nice to me! :D But I was on cheap laptop speakers and couldn't really comment on the sound. It's also not my best area of expertise.

Good luck!
:D Casey
Of course yes, I guess the main reason was not the quality of the sound. Just made me insecure... :)

Thanks for all of your comments !

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Hard to say what the screener actually was getting at.

If you listen to the references offered in the original listing and A/B against yours you would have your best guess.

Mark Crozer
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Mark Crozer » Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 pm

Beautiful tune. Makes me think of the Charlie Brown Christmas record. Nice one.