We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Middle Eastern Rock (finished?)

Post by ResonantTone » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:31 pm

Hey all..

I posted a little clip of this a few days ago and was wondering if it was too busy. I opted to just run with it and the direction it was going, and I think it's close to being done, but now I'm really second guessing if it's just too much if it's going to have a voice over or what not.

Any thoughts appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/resonanttonemusic/eastern-skies

Thanks so much!
Andrew
MIDDLE EASTERN ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by an International Music Library with worldwide distribution through Universal! This company has just started requesting music from TAXI members, so it's very unlikely that you’ve got any music in their catalog. This is a killer opportunity to get in a very busy Music Library!

They’re looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that could generally be right up the alley of (but not limited to) these references that the Music Library provided to us:

“וואלק by Full Trunk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6moAZg ... e=youtu.be

“ברי סחרוף, דודו טסה” by Trib ani utruch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wm8_bh ... e=youtu.be

“מנסים” by עידן עמדי - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebXpKj5 ... e=youtu.be

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this pitch.

Please send in well-composed Rock Instrumentals that have a distinct Middle Eastern style and sound, similar to the references above. Your submissions should have authentic-sounding Rock and Middle Eastern Instruments, as well as chord progressions built around Middle Eastern scales.

TAXI Tip: Please avoid using any Instruments that sound stiff or obviously MIDI-driven.

Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length. Non-Faded, Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

DavidSJH
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Middle Eastern Rock (finished?)

Post by DavidSJH » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 pm

It sounds great. I also have to say I've listened to a few of your forwards and thought they were awesome.
After listening to your instrumental a few times and then to the references I hear a few differences.
Some subtle, some not so.

You always make the western rock style kit drums sound great. For me they've yet to capture the rhythms of the middle eastern music and sound more North American. They Rock a bit too much.
Maybe try comping the other rhythms you have in the more ethnic drums mixed in the back ( ?) Which I feel should be more forward and be highlighted more as they have the flavour.
The traditional sounding instruments are good and sound real. I'm wondering if the harmonic movement of the chord changes could be a little more colourful, adventurous and within the scales frequently used by this genre. Also I may be tempted to play some of the melody lines played by the ethnic instruments with the guitar. If you have a nylon string guitar even better as it would mix up the instrumentation too. Basically what I hear in comparison to the examples is you've got some of the style and flavour yet not enough of the middle eastern and more of the North American rock. It's not an easy listing and I applaud you for taking it on.

:)

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:49 am

David,

Man, can’t say thank you enough for the write up!

The funny part is I actually had a very similar conversation with a friend of mine about this who is from the Middle East. Our convo centered around how this was more “western rock” with middle eastern flavor vs a “middle eastern” song with western rock flavor. Sounds like that was exactly what you were hitting on.

I’m thinking I may leave this one as it is for now and just start a new one with the latter approach! Still plenty of time before the listing deadline.

Thanks again for the listen and compliments! Having a fresh perspective on this stuff is so very valuable!

Andrew

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 am

I just want to say I like the music a lot !!! 8-)
There is a lot of color between the frets and the keys we miss keeping too close to das wohltemperierte Klavier haha!
And I agree with DavidSJH about what he didn't like.
Also I think it's better to move on as you said.

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Sounds great, Andrew!
Not too busy and you have the lead guitar subdued as far as voice-over.
You nailed it!! With nice edit points as well!
Good job!

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks Dan!

Appreciate the listen! Here’s hoping the powers at be share your thoughts. 😃

Andrew