Please Help Me Matt Vander Boegh (Trap Cue Listing)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

TuKatz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Please Help Me Matt Vander Boegh (Trap Cue Listing)

Post by TuKatz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Hello Matt (and Everyone Else): :lol:

I have produced a track here for the Trap Instrumental listing listed below. I am looking for some feedback on the track, pluses or minuses, looking for suggestions on how to make it a better pitch for the listing.
The track is located at the following page: http://www.charlesawilson.net/p2p_demos
It is titled Trap Cue #3

Here is the listing:
CONTEMPORARY TRAP-Style INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a NON-Exclusive, Music Supervisor-owned Library with a huge number of TV placements to its credit. They're currently on the prowl for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that would fall in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

NOTE: We recently ran this request as a TAXI Dispatch Listing (TAXI # D190214CT), but the company didn’t get enough material to satisfy all the requests they got for this genre so they need more! They've asked us to run this request to our full membership list to see if we could find them even more. If you submitted to TAXI #D190214CT, please submit different material this time around!

WARNING: The following references may contain graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

“Jumpin on a Jet” by Future

“Put a Date On It” by Yo Gotti ft. Lil Baby

“Real Ties” by Lil Skies

NOTE: Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals only.

Please send them Trap-Style Instrumentals that are current-sounding and have a modern feel. Build your Cues around a central melodic theme, while layering instruments in and out as your Cues progress to create a sense of forward momentum. This will create options for the editors who use these Cues. Trap-leaning production is what is needed, so bring out your coolest-sounding synths and 808s! Any virtual instruments you use need to sound modern and of high quality.

All submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length or longer.

Thank you in advance for your ears and comments. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

HigherSelf
Active
Active

Re: Please Help Me Matt Vander Boegh (Trap Cue Listing)

Post by HigherSelf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:33 am

You pretty much nailed it in my opinion, the only thing I would of done personally is just take that arp lead out in one of the sections just to have a break from it or maybe alter it slightly to stop monotony.

But sounded well produced.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:58 am

Hi Tukatz,

Since Matt is still sleeping...(on the west coast)

Here's my suggestions.
I have done alot of these.

You need to cut your intro in half.

The 808 is not powerful enough...most trap will shake the floor.

And like Higherself said...the arp does get monotonous ...I've had a few rejected from not altering the arp.
After the first 20 seconds...you have basically heard the whole thing...add some variation.
I know most trap with vox do not vary much...... but this does not have vox so you NEED to vary it more.

My 3 cents,
Tim

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:09 am

You don't need me, Charles.... Tim pretty much summed it up!

Here are the same thoughts as Tim's only in my own words:

1) Intro is too long, and really unnecessary. I'd start the track when everything comes in slamming (not sure the time stamp on that, since you're web player doesn't display a running time). If you really want to use the intro, save that for somewhere in the middle of the track. But really, your track is pushing 3:00 right now anyway, so I'd just delete that entire intro and forget it ever existed.

2) 808 / sub bass is too staccato and not ground-shaking enough. For that matter, it's also a bit of a 1980's sound... Find a different 808 that has more sustain, and is more current. Then let that sucker rip.

3) Drum pattern & sounds are pretty spot-on for trap. Nice job there!

4) Arp does get tedious after a while. Find a way to keep this fresh as the track progresses so we hear new things every 16 bars or so. The last thing you want is - like Tim said - for us to have heard the entire cue after just 20 seconds. Gotta give us a reason to keep listening, which will translate to higher likelihood of getting this forwarded & signed, and ultimately longer placements (more money!).

Good job though overall, man. Just a few tweaks here & there, and you've got a winner!

~~Matt

HigherSelf
Active
Active

Post by HigherSelf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:10 pm

I actually forgot to say like these two also it's too long, felt like it could of been around 2 mins for me and then keep it more interesting and alternate it more.

TuKatz
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by TuKatz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:48 pm

Hello Matt, Tim, and Higher:

Firstly, thank you for your time and suggestions for my track. It is still a work in progress and in this style sometimes I have a tendency to want to do too much, so the peer review is greatly appreciated. I will put a little more work into the drum sounds, cut the intro down and work on the melody there. One more question, when you mentioned the 808, do you mean the kick drum or the sub bass (I am assuming the kick drum, but I just want to make sure I understand correctly).

Thank you again for all your help and your replies. I will try to post a revised version when I get it finished. Have a great week.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:58 am

Hi Charles,

Well....the original TR-808 was just a drum machine.
So you would think we just mean the kick drum...
BUT, the term '808' has expanded and now means kick drum and sub bass.

In modern Trap, there is usually an 808 style kick drum playing ...
AND an 808 sub bass playing a slightly more melodic part ( kind of like a low bass guitar)..
but usually a simple part.

And sometimes...it is just a tuned 808 kick with a long sustain, playing both kick and sub parts.

In your track, it seems the sub bass needs more deep power and sustain.....
You can get it from a sub bass instrument or an 808 instrument....or a combination of both.
Also
You need to be careful mixing an 808 style kick with sub bass.... It can make some very bad sounding low harmonics.

My 21 cents worth,
Tim
Last edited by ttully on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:48 am

Tim is one step ahead of me again, lol.

The term "808" in modern music refers more to the bass rather than the kick. In fact, the term "sub" bass is often a misnomer too, as a lot of modern 808's aren't even playing in the subsonic ranges.

There are some great 808 synths you can buy for cheap. Or, if you're crafty enough, you can make your own (though, for $30-$50 you might as well just buy one).

~~Matt

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:00 am

Sorry Matt!!!

Ya gotta get up pretty early to be up before me... as Larry David would say...'pretty.... pretty early'!!!

Tim

dotted8
Impressive
Impressive

Post by dotted8 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 pm

ttully wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:00 am
Sorry Matt!!!

Ya gotta get up pretty early to be up before me... as Larry David would say...'pretty.... pretty early'!!!

Tim
Ahh! A fellow connoisseur of comedic genius, I’m pretty... pretty... pretty sure!
"The truth is never out of breath"

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/robarey