We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Contemporary Pop

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:50 pm

Hey all!

Would love some fresh ears on the sounds, arrangement, or mix.

Thanks!!!

https://soundcloud.com/resonanttonemusi ... el/s-RfwNK

CONTEMPORARY POP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library that's using TAXI as its primary source of new music for a large-scale catalog expansion. Please submit modern, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the stylistic wheelhouse of the references below:

NOTE: We recently ran this request as a TAXI Dispatch Listing (TAXI #D190314CP) but the company asked us to run this request to our full membership list to see if we could find them more material. If you submitted to TAXI #D190314CP, please submit different cues this time around!

“Wild” by Jonas Blue ft. Chelcee Grimes, TINI, Jhay Cortez: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQogzYUoQWU

“365” by Zedd, Katy Perry: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kUQZ2TvBRk

“Say My Name” by David Guetta, Bebe Rexha & J Balvin: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft4jcPSLJfY

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumental Cues only.

Please send well-crafted Instrumental Cues that have catchy melodies, infectious rhythms, and contemporary-sounding productions. Build your Cues around a central melodic theme while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as they progress to create dynamics, interest, and forward movement. This company needs a lot of material. Be sure to give them something fresh that could be used in a variety of placements!

TAXI Tip: You’d be smart to avoid submitting anything that’s overly busy for this pitch, as that could distract from dialogue.

All submissions should be about 1:30 in length, give or take, with non-faded, button/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

mmucklow
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Contemporary Pop

Post by mmucklow » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi Andrew,

To my ears the sounds, arrangement and mix are good.

What I think is missing is the catchy melody they're asking for. I cannot say that I'm hearing anything to grab onto and hum in my head after listening.

Overall it sounds Pop -ish, but that's not a genre I know.

~Michael
Michael Mucklow
Composer, Guitarist, Producer, Cue Composer in Training
Michael @ TAXI | Michael's Website | Shadows Of Clouds | Rushingwind & Mucklow | Ant Hill Brothers

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:32 pm

Good call, Michael. I'll play around with something on top of it all and see if I can get the elusive "catchy but not too busy" thing goin on. :)

Thanks for the listen!

Andrew

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Mix is great to my ears!
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:23 am

Trying to listen for things I would improve in the mix.. nothing really comes to mind. Great work!

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:00 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, all!

Time to go write, submit, frantically check submission history, and repeat! :lol:

Andrew

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:02 pm

It might just be personal taste but I felt the high hat[?] on the kick made the kick hit too hard for me. I listened to the ref tracks then yours on my laptop and headphones and I felt the kick was knocking a bit too hard, either that top on it or the overall body, or both, not sure really.
2 cents :)

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:15 am

Lester,

Honestly, I was kind of waffling back and forth about if it was too much. I think I’ll tone it down just a tad.

Thanks so much for the listen!

Andrew

harperpeterson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by harperpeterson » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:23 pm

mmucklow wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:09 pm
Hi Andrew,

To my ears the sounds, arrangement and mix are good.

What I think is missing is the catchy melody they're asking for. I cannot say that I'm hearing anything to grab onto and hum in my head after listening.

Overall it sounds Pop -ish, but that's not a genre I know.

~Michael
Hey Andrew!

I'll echo what Michael said a little bit. The mix sounds great, and I think the overall vibe for the listing is on point. The only thing I would say needs a little work is the melodic component. It seems too sparse in my opinion. But then again, I'm not sure what they consider to be "overly busy" in terms of distracting from the dialogue.

Nice work!

- Harper

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:21 pm

Thanks, Harper!

I'm pretty much in the same boat about being uncertain... I'm always going back and forth as to how much melody/attention I should be drawing. Somewhere in there is a happy medium between distracting and interesting, I've just yet to nail it down yet. :)

Appreciate the listen!

Andrew