We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re-imagined Cover of Nirvana

Post by MathieuF » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:08 am

Hi guys !

Just noticed the listing for re-imagined covers and I thought of an old cover of smells like teen spirit I had done with my a female singer, 10 years ago...I wonder if it might work ?

https://soundcloud.com/user-918393698/s ... vana-cover

It's definitely different from the original, but it's very much inspired by the Tori Amos version of the song (without being a copy of the arrangement). Let me know if the arrangement, performance and sound could be acceptable for sync, thanks !

Mathieu

P.S. This was an OLD photo ;)
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Re-imagined Cover of Nirvana

Post by Susanstunes » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:49 am

Hey Mathieu,

It seems like it fits the listing well!
The vocal is Tori Amos sound alike for sure, but I dont know if that would sound too familiar to the screener or not. I like your piano sound for this song because it adds a contemporary cool quality to the track. My vote is "yes". Susan

edmondredd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by edmondredd » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:11 am

Hope I'm not too late, chiming in.
Posting the listing would help make a better judgment.
It's true that it sounds/inspired from Tori Amos' version. Your raw version could be a great fit (depending on the listing)
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:13 am

Hey Mathieu,

Good rendition, very compelling but I think the vocal might be a little pitch-y for modern listings like this. If you have the listing.. it may help us give you better opinions for if it works or not.

Also..
If you have access to the original stems maybe you can edit the vocal a little.

Good job but might not be right when compared to the usual modern example songs in listings like this.

My 2 cents.

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

MathieuF
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MathieuF » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:02 am

Thanks for the comments !

Well, I messed up, the listing was ending yesterday and...oups...hehe...

But it's good to know about all the things you said. It's true that the vocals are a bit pitch-y. It was a "live" recording in studio, piano and vocals in the same room, no overdubs...and the piano is leaking in the vocal mic so pretty much impossible to do any pitch correction there. Better luck next time hehe.
Mathieu Fiset - Keyboardist / Drummer / Composer
https://mathieufiset.bandcamp.com/

DannyWeber
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DannyWeber » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:22 am

MathieuF wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:02 am
Thanks for the comments !

Well, I messed up, the listing was ending yesterday and...oups...hehe...

But it's good to know about all the things you said. It's true that the vocals are a bit pitch-y. It was a "live" recording in studio, piano and vocals in the same room, no overdubs...and the piano is leaking in the vocal mic so pretty much impossible to do any pitch correction there. Better luck next time hehe.
Hey Mathieu,

I wouldn't give up on the song just yet.. the slightly pitch-y vocals fit for a Nirvana song in context (vintage). Your version is more authentic and might be useful to a Music Supervisor for that reason! A little room reverb, might even make it sound a little more like a live recording from the 90's.

Like I said.. it's a good rendition and might not be right for one listing but might be good for another. Unless I read the listing for myself.. I can't tell you one way or the other.

I wouldn't relegate this one to the song orphanage just yet. It's well done the way it is and might find other uses other than contemporary re-imagined covers.

Dan
https://www.taxi.com/members/danweber

Go your own way! Out of necessity, drive, gumption, whatever.. don't let anyone tell you you can't!
It's not what goes into your music that's important, it's what comes out the speakers

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 am

Don't worry about missing this listing deadline too much.... these things tend to come back around. And the next time, you'll be ready!

As for this song, I really like the spirit (no pun intended) of it, and think you're on to something here.

However, the vocal is straight outta the mid-90's. Which, might actually fit if you were trying to do an era-appropriate cover. But since this "reimagined" thing needs to sound passionately contemporary, you'll probably want to re-cut the vocal, either with a different singer who can sound more like Sia, rather than Alanis Morrisette.

Also, if you're gonna tackle Version 2 of this thing, I'd recommend a more atmospheric approach to the piano. That powerful hammering at the end is cool for a live performance or album, but I think would just destroy any film scene it was paired to. You might want to think about going for a more Gary Jules approach to this (https://youtu.be/4N3N1MlvVc4), and aim for an atmospheric and emotional presentation.

~~Matt

edmondredd
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by edmondredd » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:27 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 am
You might want to think about going for a more Gary Jules approach to this (https://youtu.be/4N3N1MlvVc4), and aim for an atmospheric and emotional presentation.

~~Matt
^ this!
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

rockinrob
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by rockinrob » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:29 am

Love it.!!! Great imagination