Covers.

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Noego
Active
Active

Covers.

Post by Noego » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:57 am

i everyone. 
I have a question. When the listings ask for covers of popular songs, is the publisher taking care of the royalties for the original writer in most cases? If you keep all ownership of the master (no publisher) what do we have to look after? Im talking current not public domain obviously. Is it our responsibility to contact the listed publisher for the song? Seems to me if revenue is earned from the song the original copyright comes into play. Ive never submitted covers before. Forgive me if this was addressed in the past. Im new here.

Thanks ahead if anyone can shed some light. 

Lou

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Covers.

Post by eeoo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:51 pm

If you got a placement with a cover you would receive your share of the sync fee but since you're not the writer you would not receive writer's share of royalties. So basically you'd be making money upfront but no backend. Is that what you're asking?

Noego
Active
Active

Post by Noego » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Yes I understand royalties as I have had cuts but I was more concerned on how the writer still gets paid if you are performing and supplying their creation I guess. If you receive income and no one is protecting the writer are you not in fact making income with their song? Is it one's responsibility or would the writer's publisher being 3rd party or the writer themselves, make sure they are compensated and you are not obligated in any way?

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:17 pm

I would think that would be the supe's job or, if your song is signed with a publisher, they would take care of clearing it.